Monday, January 6, 2014

Broken Blade by J.C. Daniels

Title:  Broken Blade
Author: J.C. Daniels
My Rating: A 

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series:  Kit Colbana #3
Main Characters: Kit
Release Date: January 2014
Publisher: -
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  

Sexual Intensity: mild


Story Overview:
Kit Colbana: assassin, thief, investigator extraordinaire. Now broken. She always expected her past to catch up with her but never like this. Haunted by nightmares and stripped of her identity, she’s retreated to Wolf Haven, the no-man’s land where she found refuge years before. But while she might want to hide away from the rest of the world, the rest of the world isn’t taking the hint.
Dragged kicking and screaming back into life, Kit is thrust head-first into an investigation surrounding the theft of an ancient relic...one that she wants nothing to do with. Her instincts tell her it’s a bad idea to just leave the relic lying about, but finding it might be just as bad.
Forced to face her nightmares, she uncovers hidden strength and comes face to face with one of the world’s original monsters.
If she survives the job, she won’t be the same...and neither will those closest to her.

My Review:
Out of all the series I read, this has been the book that I have anticipated the most. After the emotion of book #2, this one provided a good breather. It was a good book, but no where near the emotional trauma that came out of book #2 (where I was literally sobbing through the last half hour reading it.) This book finds Kit trying to put her life back together, both emotionally and mentally. And it provides a little bit of reprieve for the reader too. She's no where near healed, but there are moments of hope and wow....a few surprises that I did NOT see coming...one word: Doyle.
This book forces Kit back into living as a threat appears that is a threat to all non-humans. No matter how much she would love to live in her closet now, that is just not who Kit is at her heart. She can't stand by and let others fight when she has something that she can offer, even though she's REALLY not sure that she does have anything to offer anymore. She's scared and scarred, but fighting so hard against those inner demons. I love her character and the strength of spirit that she shows story after story.
Then there's Damon and her. *sob* The hurt and betrayal in this story is so heartbreaking. Damon for not being there for her in the last book, both of them trying to get past that, the anger, the hurt. Everything between them leaves me breathing harder with the emotion of it as I read. That is some really powerful writing. JC Daniels/Shiloh Walker is the queen of emotional angst. The more I read of her writing, the more I am SURE that NO ONE does emotion better. Her writing makes me feel so deeply and that is truly an amazing gift.
This is an AMAZING series and I can't wait to see what else comes out of it. Like I said there were some startling revelations and I'm anxious to see where that goes because I love Doyle and Kit together. We only got to see glimpses of him in this book, but I have a feeling and hope that changes in the next. There are some exciting things coming and I can't wait to see where J.C. Daniels takes us next. And I'm hoping for some more smexy times to come with Damon...

No comments: