Saturday, December 28, 2013

Whiskey Beach (audiobook) by Nora Roberts



Title: Whiskey Beach (audiobook)
Author: Nora Roberts
My Rating: B 
Narrator: Luke Daniels


Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series
Main Characters: Abra and Eli
Release Date: April 2013
Publisher: Penguin/Putnam
Audiobook: Audible
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
For more than three hundred years, Bluff House has sat above Whiskey Beach, guarding its shore - and its secrets.

To summer tourists, it's the crown jewel of the town's stunning scenery. To the residents of Whiskey Beach, it's landmark and legend. To Eli Landon, it's home...

A Boston lawyer, Eli has weathered an intense year of public scrutiny and police investigation after being accused of murdering his soon-to-be ex-wife. And though there was never enough evidence to have him arrested, his reputation is in tatters as well as his soul. He need sanctuary. He needs Bluff House.

While Eli's beloved grandmother is in Boston, recuperating from a nasty fall, Abra Walsh has card for Bluff House, among her other jobs as yoga instructor, jewelry maker, and massage therapist. She is a woman with an open heart and a wide embrace, and no one is safe from her special, some would say over-bearing, brand of nurturing - including Eli.

He begins to count on Abra for far more than her cooking, cleaning, and massage skills, and starts to feel less like a victim - and more like the kind of man who can finally solve the murder of his wife and clear his name. But Bluff House's many mysteries are a siren song to someone intent on destroying Eli and reaping the rewards. He and Abra will become entangled in a centuries-old net of rumors and half-truths that could pull them under the thunderous waters of Whiskey Beach...

Passion and obsession, humor and heart flow together in a novel about two people opening themselves up to the truth - and to each other.

My Review:
Overall... 3.50 star
Performance....  3.50 star
Story... 3.75 star

I'll be honest, and this is the first time I've ever had this happen, but I think I would have enjoyed this book more if I had read it rather than listened to the audiobook. And there's a very simple reason for this which makes me sad...Luke Daniels. Hands down, this guy is talented. His voices and inflections and the sheer number of different ones he can do is astounding. He is so talented. But I hate his female lead voices...something about the breathy way he does them and the laugh he has for females makes them sound air-headed to me and it's hard for me to look past that in an audiobook. 

The book was interesting enough although it didn't move very fast for me, but again, I was listening to it in audio and I don't get a whole lot of audio time anymore. So it took almost a month for me to get through this book. The set-up was very good...male writer (LOVE that and I loved the little insights into his writing process) and female yoga instructor (her attitude toward life and stress was outstanding especially knowing that she came from a MUCH HIGHER stress background.)

There was a bit of suspense to the story line...between the murder of Eli's wife, the break-in's at Bluff house, and Eli's grandmother's fall. I enjoyed the town, the addition of Barbie the dog, and the mystery of the sunken ship's treasure. I enjoyed the interactions between Eli and Abra and that they were a true committed couple throughout most of the book, without the normal emotional drama although there was a tiny bit of that at the beginning as they were sorting out their attraction. I loved how they were opposites in that he is high strung where she's much more mellow. Her ability to relax him was great. I also loved how playful she could be and honest...wow, her ability to speak her mind was great. Loved her especially when she got fiesty on his behalf.

Someday I will sit down and read the book in print (I do own a hardback copy of it) and see if my overall impression of the story improves. I think it just may. This just wasn't a book that worked for me all that well on audio.

No comments: