Monday, December 16, 2013

Thrown by Colette Auclair


Title: Thrown
Author: Colette Auclair
My Rating: B+

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: -
Main Characters: Amanda and Grady
Release Date: December 2013
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
THROWN is a lighthearted yet steamy contemporary romance by Golden Heart finalist Colette Auclair, featuring a young woman who must choose between capturing a gold medal and the man who’s captured her heart.

In THROWN, professional trainer Amanda Vogel dreams of riding jumpers in the Olympics, but after seeing her best friend die in a riding accident, she’s so traumatized she can’t show. Broke and desperate, she takes a summer job in Aspen teaching some big-shot widowed movie star’s spoiled daughters to ride—even though she hates teaching kids. She braces herself for three miserable months. But by Labor Day, she has to choose between capturing a gold medal…and the man who has captured her heart.

My Review:


Grady Brunswick is an A-list action movie star in Aspen for the summer hoping to reconnect with his 11 and 8 year old daughters. Their mother died when they were little and Grady has been too busy building his career. All three are virtually strangers and the girls have become pretty much spoiled brats who can get their father to agree to anything they want. 

Amanda has her own promising career, but after a trauma when she saw her friend die in a horseback competition, she has PTSD and needs a break from her normal routine. She hires on with Grady to be the girls' riding coach for the summer, not knowing what she's really signing up for or how impossible the girls are. 


This book is a modern day twist on the governess story line and I found that I really enjoyed it. It's been a long time since I read this kind of story. Overall I enjoyed the romantic story line even though there were a few moments when I was rolling my eyes at the over-reactions of the characters simply and the cliche mother/ex-girlfriend visit to cause more drama to the story line. There were a few small chapters in the middle of the book that featured this part of the story line. I wish they had been written differently cause that kept this book from being truly outstanding. As it is, though, I still enjoyed it overall.


I will admit my favorite character in the book was Harris, the gay chef, who's been Grady's best friend since their college days. I enjoyed his by-play with both Amanda and Grady and LOVED the tradition of his and Amanda's evening cocktails to unwind every day.


It was a fun, light read...VERY, very light on the smexy so I think it will appeal to a larger audience. The horse knowledge was interesting and I loved the mental visuals of Aspen in the summer. It was like a mini vacation to the mountains to read this book.


I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: