Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Redhead Plays Her Hand by Alice Clayton


Title: The Redhead Plays Her Hand
Author: Alice Clayton
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Redhead #3
Main Characters: Grace and Jack
Release Date: December 2013
Publisher: Gallery Books
Links to Purchase
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Grace Sheridan is flying high. With scorching passion from her gorgeous Brit superstar Jack Hamilton plus the lead role in a new television dramedy, she could just pinch herself. Then a demand from her show’s directors to drop fifteen pounds brings her back down to earth with a thump. Forced to subsist on air, cucumbers, and boot camp, Grace wonders if the body that brings the newly crowned “Sexiest Man Alive” to his knees is just too booty-licious for Hollywood. Jack, meanwhile, seems overly enamored of the celebrity lifestyle. Forbidden by his publicity-conscious manager to reveal his relationship with Grace, he’s hitting the industry party scene way too hard.

As Grace’s bod incites fiery debate about the message of “thin is in,” Jack’s jealous fans are downing the hate-erade, viciously slamming her curves. Grace longs for Jack’s support, but he’s showing up late and disheveled to her most important moments. With tempers between them flaring, Hollywood’s most talked-about redhead might have more to lose than a few stubborn pounds. She and Jack were clearly made for each other—but will the day ever come when they can walk the red carpet together, hand in hand?


When I received this book for review, I was so excited because I have the first two books in my TBR, I just haven't had the chance to read them. This was my chance to slide them into my reading schedule. But it's December and crazy-busy so I didn't ever get a chance to read them. So I went into this book basically reading it as a stand-alone and surprisingly, it totally worked. I thoroughly enjoyed this book!

From the very beginning, I fell in love with Jack and Grace together. They are so awesome together. You can feel their love and devotion jump off the page...even Jack, which is a bit surprising since the book is told from Grace's POV. But they make an incredible couple to read about....even when things were falling apart around them, that touch and fire between them never disappeared. NEVER was the love in doubt and I loved that. It could have been so easy to take this book in a different more obvious direction and the author didn't do that. But that isn't to say that there's no drama...there most definitely is. They are a new couple and a Hollywood couple on top of that...there are going to be growing/adjustment pains.

This is one of those books. You know that the drama is coming and you just cringe and turn the page slowly hoping it doesn't tear your heart out. It didn't quite do that to me, but it was definitely emotional. BUT I love that it didn't leave me shredded. Honestly, for me, this was the perfect level of emotion for me. There was definite angst and heartbreak, but I wasn't sobbing over my Kindle. Perfection! I also enjoyed the whole dichotomy of Holly and Michael. Holly is both Grace and Jack's manager. Then Michael is the creator of Grace's show. Then they are all friends.

There's the added story in this one about Grace. She's had weight problems in the past and that all comes to the forefront of the news media as she gets more notoriety dating Jack, but she also has her own series starting where the execs are pushing her to lose more weight. I enjoyed that whole aspect of the story line and how Grace came out of the whole ordeal. She was just an awesome character and one as a reader that I could totally root for and love! That's such an awesome feeling for me as a reader.

Overall, this was just a GREAT book. Now I need to go back and read the first two books in the series. But, know upfront, never for one minute reading this book did I feel like I was missing something because I haven't read those books yet. I highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys contemporary romance.

No comments: