Saturday, November 9, 2013

Spider's Revenge (audiobook) by Jennifer Estep


Title: Spider's Revenge
Author: Jennifer Estep
My Rating: B+
Narrator: Lauren Fortgang

Genre: Urban Fantasy 

Series: Elemental Assassin #5
Main Characters: Gin Blanco
Release Date: September 2011
Publisher: Audible
Purchase Links: 
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Old habits die hard for assassins.

And I plan on murdering someone before the night is through.

Killing used to be my regular gig, after all. Gin Blanco, aka the Spider, assassin-for-hire. And I was very, very good at it. Now, I’m ready to make the one hit that truly matters: Mab Monroe, the dangerous Fire elemental who murdered my family when I was thirteen. Oh, I don’t think the mission will be easy, but turns out it’s a bit more problematic than expected. The bitch knows I’m coming for her. So now I’m up against the army of lethal bounty hunters Mab hired to track me down. She also put a price on my baby sister’s head. Keeping Bria safe is my first priority. Taking Mab out is a close second. Good thing I’ve got my powerful Ice and Stone magic—and my irresistible lover, Owen Grayson—to watch my back. This battle has been years in the making, and there’s a good chance I won’t survive. But if I’m going down, then Mab’s coming with me . . . no matter what I have to do to make that happen.

My Review:
Overall... 4.00 star
Performance....  5.00 star
Story... 3.75 star
Finally, after 5 books, we finally get the showdown between Gin and Mab...although at times in this book, I definitely wondered if it was ever going to happen. 

There were parts of this book that I loved...
*the opening scene with Gin trying to kill Mab
*the scenes between Gin and Owen. I like where things are going with them. 

But there were other things about this book that drove me nuts...
*I'm sorry...is there a single person who reads book #5 in a series like this who hasn't been reading all of them?? I'm so tired of the same repeated information over and over and over again....every single book, and usually several times throughout the book. What happened to Gin's family, how she got her spider rune scars. Enough already. I don't want to hear it anymore. If I was reading this series, rather than listening to it, I think I would have abandoned it several books ago for this reason entirely. 

But it does work for me on audio because it's like a soap opera...I can come back into it a couple of weeks later and it's absolutely no issue to pick right back up where I left off. Now that things are resolved with Mab, I'm REALLY hoping that the series picks up a little bit with some new story lines. I feel like the last three books have stalled out a bit in the style/creativity of the writing. 


No comments: