Monday, November 18, 2013

Rumor Has It by Jill Shalvis




Title: Rumor Has It
Author: Jill Shalvis
My Rating: A


Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Animal Magnetism #4

Main Characters: Griffin and Kate
Release Date: November 2013
Publisher: Berkley
Purchase Links: 
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
He’ll help unleash the new woman in her…

Special Ops soldier Griffin Reid doesn’t exactly have happy memories of growing up in Sunshine, Idaho. He’s only come back to recover from a war injury, and while he refuses to admit he’s in a weakened state, he finds comfort in the last person he’d expect.

Kate Evans teaches fourth grade science in Sunshine, the place she’s always called home. Dreaming of graduate school and a happily-ever-after, she’s desperate to break out of the monotony of Sunshine. Luckily, a certain sexy man has just come back into her life.

To Griffin, Kate as always been his little sister’s friend, but now he’s finding her to be so much more. As both attempt to forge their paths, they must decide if their passionate connection can turn into something lasting…

My Review:
Jill Shalvis has it. I don't know exactly what "it" is, but her books and the emotions of her characters are simply perfection. I love and adore the way that  she writes. I am constantly giggling, but that's not the only emotion that her books manage to tug out of me. They are so heartfelt and real, but OMG...maintain that gorgeous level of  smexy that makes everything just so fun. 

This book features, Griff, a wounded alpha soldier trying to find his place now that the military is no longer an option for him. You all know I love a hot soldier story and Griff is right up there with EVERYTHING I love in a hero. He's the strong silent type until he gets around Kate. She manages to get under his skin every time and he doesn't know what to do about it. Griff is not a guy who does helpless well, but that's how Kate makes him feel...because she makes him feel and it's a gorgeous thing to read. I love it when a hot alpha is brought to his knees by the perfect woman. Romance absolutely at its best.

Then there's Kate. She's a second grade teacher and fits every idea behind that. She's sweet and open and honest and....OMG, one of the toughest heroines I've read in a while. She's awesome. At her heart, she's a caregiver...taking care of her family, her friends, her ex-boyfriend, the kids in her class, and Griffin in those moments when he'll let her. Luckily, she's pretty sneaky and manages to do that a lot of the time without him even realizing until it's too late.

There was just so much about this book that I loved:
*first and foremost...Griff and Kate...really incredible characters that are so easy to fall in love with. Jill Shalvis crafted their back-stories to perfection and I loved everything about both of them....so much!!
*Kate and the way that she takes care of everyone. Her relationship with her ex, Ryan...LOVED them together. They are nothing more than really good friends now, but they were so fun together, so honest. I'm pretty sure Ryan will get a story soon and I'm THRILLED about that because I loved him too. 
*Dustin (one of Kate's harder students) and Tommy (Kate's little brother as well as her student too). I loved the way Tommy was a miniature version of Kate and how socially awkward that made him, but he's a kid secure in who he is and still willing to give so much...even to Dustin who's so awful to him throughout most the book. Like Kate, Tommy is a giver.
*Griff and his dad....this part of the story was so good and so emotional simply because Griff is trying to do better and wants to belong so badly. Those scenes between them were full of angst and it almost hurt to read them, but they just made me love Griff even more.

This is a FABULOUS book. Definitely entertaining. Completely romantic. Jill Shalvis did it again and proved once again why she's on my auto-buy list. I NEVER read cover copy for her books anymore. I just automatically know that if I buy one of her books, I won't regret it. LOVE!

1 comment:

Felicia S said...

Totally agree with everything you said about this book. I especially liked Kate and her random fates :)