Monday, November 11, 2013

Roman Holiday 1: Chained by Ruthie Knox



Title: Roman Holiday 1: Chained 
Author: Ruthie Knox
My Rating: A 

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Roman Holiday #1
Main Characters: Ashley and Roman
Release Date: November 2013
Publisher: Loveswept
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:

Meet Ashley and Roman—complete opposites who can’t hide their attraction—in Episode 1 of Ruthie Knox’s eBook original serial, Roman Holiday.

Ashley Bowman is having a bad week. Reeling from the death of her beloved grandmother, she returns to the Florida Keys only to learn that a heartless Miami developer has gotten hold of the crappy vacation rentals she calls home. Ashley has one day to clear out before Roman Díaz destroys the only place in the world that matters to her. Chaining herself to a palm tree in the bulldozers’ path seems like a good way to stop him . . . until she realizes she should’ve brought food and water. And pants. Also, it would help if the evil developer weren’t so ridiculously hot.

The last thing Roman Díaz needs is some sun-kissed blond protester getting her picture in the newspaper and messing up his plans. He bought the property fair and square, and the resort he wants to build on the site is the key to realizing his highest ambitions. But when a hurricane blows through, Roman has to hustle Ashley to safety if he wants to protect his reputation—and that means giving in to her unreasonable demands.

Roman needs to learn a little compassion, and Ashley’s decided to teach it to him . . . even if she has to drag him all over the Eastern Seaboard to do it.

My Review:
Okay, know going into this that this is NOT a complete book. This is a new trend with books, to release parts of the story, like a tv show episode. You get a little bit at a time. I'll tell you right up front that I don't think this is the style book for me, but that is purely because I read so much. I easily read a book a day so that makes it hard to keep track of the details of a story line for so long. Who I think this is perfect for is the super-busy person that loves to read, but simply doesn't have the time. The episodes are short...easily read in an hour or hour and a half and I think they are scheduled for every couple of weeks so it's easy to stay on top of that reading even if you are crazy busy.

BUT with that being said (that this isn't for me style-wise with the bits at a time) this first episode was fabulous and quirky and I really am looking forward to seeing where this story goes from here. 

This first episode has the heroine, Ashley, chained to a tree trying to save the family hotel from demolition. She was awesome. I loved how real she was in that she sat there having all these thoughts about how ill-planned this was, but she never wants to let Roman see that. She's a great bluffer.

On the other side of that is Roman, the evil developer. BUT he's not all that....you get to see little glimpses that show he really is a great, compassionate guy even if he doesn't want to be. There's no hiding that inner nice guy when he's faced with Ashley's predicament. 

The set-up was pure fun and entertaining. I really did enjoy it and plan to follow the story. I may just change my mind about episodic books. If anyone could make me change my mind, I'm pretty sure it would be Ruthie Knox. Her contemporary romance books are fabulous!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: