Friday, October 11, 2013

Magic Slays by Ilona Andrews



Title: Magic Slays
Author: Ilona Andrews
My Rating: B+

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Kate Daniels #5
Main Characters: Kate Daniels
Release Date: May 2011
Publisher: Ace
Purchase Links: 
Sexual Intensity: spicy


Story Overview:
Plagued by a war between magic and technology, Atlanta has never been so deadly. Good thing Kate Daniels is on the job.

Kate Daniels may have quit the Order of Merciful Aid, but she’s still knee-deep in paranormal problems. Or she would be if she could get someone to hire her. Starting her own business has been more challenging than she thought it would be—now that the Order is disparaging her good name, and many potential clients are afraid of getting on the bad side of the Beast Lord, who just happens to be Kate’s mate.

So when Atlanta’s premier Master of the Dead calls to ask for help with a vampire on the loose, Kate leaps at the chance of some paying work. Turns out this is not an isolated incident, and Kate needs to get to the bottom of it—fast, or the city and everyone dear to her might pay the ultimate price . . .

My Review:
This book just didn't capture my attention as much as the others in the series have. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely good, just not as riveting as the others in the series have been. And this is book #5 in a UF series, so now I have to try to write this review without revealing spoilers...LOL, pretty much an impossibility for the overall series, but I'll do my best. I think the easiest way to accomplish that is with a checklist of what I liked about this book. 

*My absolute favorite part of this book was Derek and Ascanio. What Ascanio does for Julie...LOVE!! I liked the duo of teens and how Kate interacts and mentors them. Derek absolutely remains one of my favorite characters in the series. I'm hoping someday we get a side-book with his HEA.

*I really enjoyed the scenes between Kate and the alpha, Jennifer. They added a lot of depth to the story and when things happen to Jennifer, even though I hated her throughout the book, I wanted to just curl up and hug her. She's had a rough time of it the last couple of books. 

*There were two things that just didn't quite do it for me in this one....the revelations about Kate's mom. *meh* I know it was supposed to make me feel for her more, but I honestly don't think there are any more heartstrings left there to pull. This sidestory almost seemed a little like overkill.

*Then Curran. Again, this just seemed like more of the same to me and I just wasn't that emotionally involved in this one.

I know it's hard to carry a series for this long and keep it fresh and exciting. I did enjoy the overall story in this one. I thought that was interesting enough and that's been an area that's lacked for me the last couple of books. I have to admit, I'm happy that the next book is a side-story with Gunmetal Magic. I think the break in the story line will be good for the overall story arc and I am dying to read Andrea and Raphael's story. I think it's going to be really good. 

No comments: