Thursday, September 26, 2013

Two Times as Hot by Cat Johnson

Title:  Two Times as Hot
Author: Cat Johnson
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Oklahoma Nights #2
Main Characters: Logan and Emma
Release Date: September 2013

Publisher: Kensington
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
One Good Girl...
After her sister snags a hot Oklahoma cowboy, Emma Hart figures it’s her turn to saddle up. And with two country boys pursuing her at once, she’s in for a wild ride...

Two Sexy Guys...
Lieutenant Colonel Logan Hunt can’t deny the heat between him and Emma is fierce. But Logan isn’t looking for anything serious...just a chance to blow off some steam. So why is he crazy jealous when he sees pro bull rider Jace Mills trying to charm Emma into bed?

Winner Takes All...
Logan knows he and Emma could have something special—and not just because she’s smokin’ hot. Now he has to find a way to prove that even a no-strings-attached guy like him can stick around for the long haul…



My Review:
I'll admit it right now. I adored the first book in this series (gave it an A++...you can see my review HERE) so I had really high hopes for this one. As a result, I thought about dnf'ing the book at the 25% mark. At that point, I really couldn't stand Emma and her really shallow personality and character. But I stuck with it and ended the book happy that I did.

This book is about Logan and Emma. Logan is a Lt. Col and Tuck's commander (Tucker was the hero from book #1). Logan is 39 years old and never having been married is the consummate bachelor, but is completely smitten when he meets Emma at Tucker's wedding. Emma is an NYC girl and she's truly after one thing...hot sex. It's been way too long of a dry spell for her. Now her biggest issue is choosing between Jace and Logan. There were several things about this book that bugged me...her see-sawing back and forth between which guy to sleep with was definitely one of them. Um...the word, slut, comes to mind. See...this is why I really didn't like her the first part of the book. By default, she ends up with Logan for the evening and things between the two of them are truly combustible. They are hot. But this is a single evening because she's going back to NYC the next day...and the next day Logan's world implodes.

And then the story got to where I enjoyed it.

There are ways to write a love-triangle without the heroine feeling sleezy. This book didn't quite manage it and that makes me sad because the rest of the book was really good. 

There were little things about the rest of the book that made it so good....I loved Emma working on Logan's dad's store and using her expertise to help. I loved the group of friends....Tyler, Tucker, Becca...and the love and support that they all give to Logan and Emma. I liked the Oklahoma setting and the romantic hunting lodge. I loved the hot scenes between Emma and Logan. I loved the sweet things between Emma and Logan. I LOVED and ADORED Logan's moment of realization....so perfectly orchestrated and it felt so real and purely sweet. 

So this book is a mixed bag for me. The first 25%, I really hated it. The last 25%, I adored it. My advice...stick with it until at least the 50% mark, especially if you are like me and not liking Emma. I think you may just change your mind by the end. 

Now the next dilemma...it looks like Book #3 is Jace and Tara. Once again, I find myself in a position where before even going into the book, I really don't like either one of them. hmm, I have a feeling I'll pick it up anyway and see if Cat Johnson can change my feelings about them. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: