Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Real by Katy Evans

Title: Real
Author: Katy Evans
My Rating: B+

Genre: Contemporary Romance (NA)
Series: Real, Raw, and Ripped #1
Main Characters: Remy and Brooke
Release Date: September 2013 (re-release)
Publisher: Gallery
Purchase Links: 
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
HOT. SEXY. POWERFUL. PAINFUL. REAL. The scorching international bestseller that strips away everything you’ve ever believed about passion . . . . 

Remington Tate has a bad-boy rep in and out of the ring, a granite-hard body, and a raw, animal power that sends his female fans into a frenzy. But from the moment their eyes lock, the only woman he wants is Brooke Dumas. His desire is pure, all-consuming, and REAL.

Hired to keep his perfect body working like a machine, Brooke finally has the lucrative sports therapy job she’s been dreaming of. But as she tours the dangerous underground fighting circuit with Remy and his team, Brooke’s own body becomes alive with the most primal of hungers. If what happens between Brooke and Remy is ever as light as a flirtation, it quickly becomes an erotic obsession for them both, and promises so much more.

But their white-hot lust has a dark side—and when Remy’s deepest secret comes to light and Brooke’s familial duties demand action, will the pair be able to hang on, or will everything that once seemed so real suddenly fade away like an illusion?

My Review:
I'm torn about this book. Overall, I completely enjoyed reading it (except for one section that I'll talk about in a moment). But this book seemed like so much of the New Adult genre that is out there...it's almost formulaic. In fact the opening scene was JUST LIKE the opening scene of Beautiful Disaster. 

The formula: A seriously damaged hero who wants nothing more than to be loved and the heroine that wants to be the one who fixes him. Why does this appeal to us so much? I'm assuming that it ties to a woman's natural nurturing spirit. But rest assured, Remy is a hero that you will just want to hug and hold....and maybe lick a few times. But Brooke is the girl for him. He knows. She knows it. The reader definitely knows it. They just have to get through the bs of their shattered souls so that they can find their way to their HEA.

But regardless of the fact that the book wasn't too much new in the creativity department, it works. It's a book that kept me riveted. It was seriously sexy. The book is told from Brooke's POV and she definitely gets worked up about Remy's extremely toned, muscular body. As a former professional athlete, she appreciates the pure work he's put into honing his physique. I will say that by the time they did it, I was ready for a good orgasm...good grief, this book had some sexual build-up. O.O

Then there was the drama. *sigh* This is the part that I hate. Seriously, I almost dnf'ed the book at the 73% mark because the expected drama happened, but I will admit, that I would have been making a mistake if I had done that because the author pulled the book out of the fire of the train wreck of character mistakes. What I thought pure and simple were the stupid and predictable actions of the characters, turned out to be a wrong assumption on my part. I've never been so thrilled to be so wrong...and happy about the fact that I kept reading.

So, overall, this book is kind of a mixed bag. Yes, it absolutely is canned NA romance, but it is canned for a reason...it works! For the most part, I enjoyed the book (although really, it would have been SO MUCH BETTER if this book had been missing the character of Mel, Brooke's best friend...talk about a cliche'd character.) Sorry..tangent...overall, it was an entertaining, really HOT read. It definitely provided me with an emotional escape for an evening.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

1 comment:

paperbackdaydreamer.com said...

Great review Christi! :-D This sounds like something I might need to check out. Although, this is the first time I've heard of the NA genre. I think you hit it on the head when you said that it appeals to a woman's natural nurturing spirit. I think a lot of young women, myself included, have been in those relationships with a guy because he's a bad boy, who is just "misunderstood" and we want to be with him so we can fix him and make him happy...blah! It works in stories because they can find a HEA, unfortunately, most of the time in real life that is not the case and the girl ends up hurt and the guy continues doing what he always has done. LOL. There is my rant for the day. I still think I'll check this one out, especially with your great review! :-)