Friday, September 27, 2013

Play by Play by Kate Donovan




Title:  Play by Play
Author: Kate Donovan
My Rating: B+

Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: Play by Play novella
Release Date: September 2013
Main Characters: Jake and Sophie
Publisher: Beyond the Page
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
Former college football star Jake Dublin’s wildly popular sports blog also details his personal life. And lately it’s all about Sophie, the pretty young woman who just moved into his apartment building. His readers know her only as “Elevator Girl,” and they’re all rooting for Jake to score.

The blog posts and banter with his followers are all in good fun, and he fully intends to come clean with the woman he’s wooing and wowing. That is, until she confides that she grew up in a house full of jocks and even dated a few. Her verdict? Never again!

Jake knows he needs to confess. But somewhere along the line he fell in love with Sophie and can’t stand the thought of losing her. So he procrastinates, and blogs, and digs himself deeper into a hole, until it all leads to a showdown that’s so nail-biting, not even the best play-by-play guy could ever have seen it coming.

My Review:
This is a very short novella, but I really and truly enjoyed it. It only took around an hour to read and I found myself enchanted by the story and this author's voice.

This is the story of Jake...he's an online blogger who has a sports blog. There are several chapters in the novella that are straight blog posts from his blog...and the comments from his readers. I found that these were my favorite chapters in the book. They were sweet and the chatting among the comments was awesome and definitely entertaining.

The twist at the end of the story completely caught me by surprise, but then it all made so much sense. Plain and simple...I liked this story. I liked the characters. I liked the premise. And I loved the humor. The blog posts were fun and humorous. The relationship was great...with fun, snappy dialogue... even with the threat of the secrets hanging over the two of them, I enjoyed it. 

I immediately went and bought another book by this author after finishing this one and will definitely be watching for more from her. I'm especially hopeful that there are more to come in this sports series.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: