Saturday, September 7, 2013

Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews


Title: Magic Burns
Author: Ilona Andrews
My Rating: B+

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Kate Daniels #2
Main Characters: Kate Daniels
Release Date: April 2008
Publisher: Ace
Purchase Links: 
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
Down in Atlanta, tempers – and temperatures – are about to flare…

As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. Now Kate’s going to have to deal with problems on a much bigger scale: a divine one.

When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta’s paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she quickly realizes much more at stake. During a flare, gods and goddesses can manifest – and battle for power. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug-of-war between two gods hoping for rebirth. And if Kate can’t stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive…

My Review:
The series is getting better. I have a feeling that this is going to be one of those series of books that each one just gets better and better until I'm dying for the next book to come out. Luckily I have the first six in my TBR pile so I'm good to go for at least the next few days. 

Quick warning: I'm not going to write huge, long reviews of these books because they've been out so long, there are TONS of reviews on them. I'll just do a quick overview of what I liked about them.

I liked the action in this book....a lot. It was interesting and really creative to have the magic flares in the story. As before, I got a bit lost in ALL the minute details of the gods/mythology/legends, etc. but overall I enjoyed that part of the story. The addition of the kids, esp. Julie, and Bran...LOVED! I'll admit, I had tears rolling down my cheeks at the end of the story. 

I also really loved the developments with Curran. I like how clueless Kate is when it comes to shifter customs until someone tells her what is actually going on with him. Loved that!

And then there's Derek. I love that he continues to be Kate's sidekick in the series. I love him and his teenage attitude combined with that awesome shifter Alpha attitude. 

Seriously, I am dying to pick up the next book in the series, but I have three review books to read first. Sob...instead, I just carry it around with me, tempting me to slide it in before one of the others. A great series... so far and I'm only on book #2!

1 comment:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

I haven't read book 2 yet darn it! I will I will :)