Friday, September 6, 2013

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews


Title: Magic Bites
Author: Ilona Andrews
My Rating: B 

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Kate Daniels #1
Main Characters: Kate Daniels
Release Date: March 2007
Publisher: Ace
Purchase Links: 
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose, leaving all kinds of paranormal problems in its wake.

Kate Daniels is a down-on-her-luck mercenary who makes her living cleaning up these magical problems. But when Kate's guardian is murdered, her quest for justice draws her into a power struggle between two strong factions within Atlanta's magic circles.

The Masters of the Dead, necromancers who can control vampires, and the Pack, a paramilitary clan of shapechangers, blame each other for a series of bizarre killings—and the death of Kate's guardian may be part of the same mystery. Pressured by both sides to find the killer, Kate realizes she's way out of her league—but she wouldn't have it any other way...

My Review:
I "read" the first half of this book by audiobook and then sat down with the print book for the second half. For me, I tend to have a difficult time getting into UF series so audiobooks are a good way to go and I will admit, if I had been reading this book at first, I probably would have dnf'ed it....and that would have been a mistake because it does get really good. It just takes a while. 

But like most first books in a new uf series, characters and confusion was the norm for this book. There are a TON of characters, lots of differences in this paranormal world, and a lot to establish in this first book. As a result, I spent a lot of the time lost. But that's okay...the characters make up for it. 

Kate is amazing. She is tough and irreverent and fairly accepting of the fact that she could die at any turn. For her, her job is worth the sacrifice. I liked her and loved the fact that she doesn't even think twice about putting someone else's life above her own. The hardest thing about her character though is that she is simply so alone. Greg was the final member of her close circle and in this book she's investigating his death while also working through her grief over losing him.

And because Kate is so alone, I loved the addition of Derek's character as (somewhat) her sidekick. This teenage werewolf was an awesome addition to this book and I REALLY hope that he maintains that status within all these books. 

Then there's Curran...YUM! There were just hints of who he really is for the series in this book, but anyone who lives in the romance book world has heard about Curran and what an awesome hero he is in this series of books. I can't wait to see this develop. Already, I love that Kate stands up to him on a constant basis. He's one of those guys who just rubs her wrong....can we say sexual chemistry?? I like that.

It's an interesting world and the book ended with me scrambling to dive into book #2 (which luckily was already sitting  on my TBR shelf). So while this book was definitely not one of my favorites that I've ever read, I think it's setting up a series that I'm going to fall in love with. We'll see...I foresee a big series read for me this week! 

1 comment:

paperbackdaydreamer.com said...

I'm so happy that you mentioned that starting this book would have been very difficult if you would have been reading it. I've been wanting to read this book forever to get into the series, but when I started it...I just wasn't feeling it. This gives me some encouragement to actually give it a second chance, especially since you ended up finishing this one and really wanting to pick up book 2 right away! :-D