Monday, September 9, 2013

Catch a Ghost by SE Jakes

Title: Catch a Ghost
Author: SE Jakes
My Rating: A+ 

Genre: Romantic Suspense (m/m)
Series: Hell or High Water #1
Main Characters: Proph and Tom
Release Date: September 2013
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Purchase Links: 
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
Everyone knows that Prophet—former Navy SEAL, former CIA spook, full-time pain in the ass—works alone and thinks only about the trouble he can cause. But his boss, Phil Butler of Extreme Escapes, LTD., has just assigned Proph not only a new partner but also a case haunted by ghosts from Proph’s past. Suddenly, he’s got to confront them both head on.

Tom Boudreaux—failed FBI agent, failed sheriff, full time believer in bad luck—is wondering why the head of a private contracting firm has hunted him down to offer him a job. Still he's determined to succeed this time, despite being partnered with Prophet, EE, LTD’s most successful, lethal, and annoying operative, and even though the case is also resurrecting his own painful past.

Together, Prophet and Tom must find a way to take down killers in the dangerous world of underground cage matches, while fighting their own dangerous attraction. And when they find themselves caught in the crossfire, these two loners are forced to trust each other and work together to escape their ghosts . . . or pay the price.

My Review:
I would like to hate on this book for the "wtf ending" (I totally stole that phrasing from J9 at the Book Vixen), but honestly I can't because I can so easily see this series becoming one of my favorites ever. Suffice it to say, I need book #2 NOW!!!

This book is about two special operatives with EE, Ltd, Proph and Tom. They are both really messed up after too many years working in this field and the horrors that they've seen there. In this particular book, we get to see a lot more of Prophet's ghosts than Tom's so it's easy to think that he's the more messed up of the two, but I have a feeling that we will see much more of Tom's horrors that haunt him at night in the next book. Because of their scars, neither of these guys wants to pull anyone else into their worlds. That's just asking for hurt, torture, and death...for all involved parties. It's not worth the risk.

At the beginning neither one trusts or even likes the other. Scars, big ones. But as they work together, that slowly changes and along with the heightened danger comes heightened sexual chemistry. Yum-my! I loved these two together. Prophet is a total badass, work by himself, alpha, but Tom brings  him to his knees and it is so freaking sexy. I love how Tom has a sense about what Prophet needs. In fact, they both read each other really well. Truly, they are perfect together, but neither one can see it. Those freaking scars again. Prophet is running from ghosts of his past while confronting sexy men that just want to save him...no, Tom isn't the only one. Yikes! (I love this other character and how he also can really read Proph, but NO....Proph and Tom belong together.)

NO.THING. is resolved at the end of this book and it's painful. Thank God, book #2 comes out in six weeks or I'd be sitting in the Riptide Publishing offices demanding....something. I've read that there are four books in this series and if I was smart, I'd wait to read them all after they ALL come out, but I know myself enough to know that that will never happen. I absolutely fell in love with Tom and Proph and I definitely foresee some really rocky times ahead, but if the next books are anything like this one, I think I can deal...as long as I get an HEA eventually. This book was SO GOOD!!

It should be noted that as soon as I finished my ARC (advanced reader copy) of this e-book, I IMMEDIATELY got onto the Riptide Publishing website and pre-ordered PRINT copies of both book #1 and #2 for my keeper shelf. If I'd been able to pre-order the entire series, I definitely would have. My final thought...WRITE FASTER S.E. JAKES!!!

Note: if you like the Cut&Run series, you are totally gonna love this one!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

7 comments:

Crissy Morris said...

Oh...now i think I'm gonna go out abd buy both pb copies. I heart SE Jakes!

morris.crissy@gmail.com

Jen CW said...

I love the Men of Honor series and can't wait to read this whole series as well. I will be reading Catch a Ghost today and eagerly awaiting the next one I'm sure!

kali-mar said...

Well, after reading your review I am thankful that I've already pre-ordered book 2 and on my next day off will dive into book 1. I love SE and cannot wait to read this.

ad0ffae6-78f6-11e1-8cde-000bcdcb5194 said...

People have such strong feelings about this series already--must be a good sign!

vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

Joanne said...

I have been waiting impatiently for this book since I saw it on the Riptide website. Thank goodness it's finally out. Can't wait to read it to see more of Proph and Tommy(especially his piercings!)
Heading over to pre-order book 2 now.

e.balinski(at)att(dot)net

Bobbie B said...

Just *drool* I am so glad I have book two preordered. SE is made of awesome.

Bobbie B

Lisa said...

I have read all of her books and I've really been looking forward to this new series! Just started Catch a Ghost today and I'm really glad we don't have to wait very long for the next one to be released. :) Action, suspense, hot guys with piercings and tattoos...what more could you ask for? :D