Saturday, August 31, 2013

Tangled Threads (audiobook) by Jennifer Estep


Title:  Tangled Threads
Author: Jennifer Estep
My Rating: B+
Narrator: Lauren Fortgang

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Elemental Assassin #4
Main Characters: Gin Blanco
Release Date: April 2011
Publisher: Audible
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
An assassin has come to Ashland to murder Gin Blanco, the renowned killer known as the Spider. Ever since she declared war on Mab Monroe, the ruthless head of the Ashland underworld, she's had a target on her back. Mab wants her dead in the worst kind of way, which is why she's hired Elektra LaFleur. LaFleur is just as ruthless as Gin, and has electrical elemental magic that equals Gin's Ice and Stone power. Complicating matters is the fact that Mab's kidnapped an innocent young girl. For Gin, finding her is priority number one…but surviving is a close second.

My Review:

Overall... 4.00 star
Performance....  4.5 star
Story... 4.00 star
This series is a prime example of why I like to listen to Urban Fantasy on audio rather than reading the books. These books have a lot of mental dialogue within Gin's head. There is also a lot of repeated information from both the other books and within this single book. If I was reading the book, I think that would drive me nuts, but for me and listening to audio it works for me. This is a series that I can listen to an hour or two at a time and be okay leaving it for up to a week in between chores where I have the time to listen to audio.

And I liked where this particular book within the series took the series. OMG, I love Owen and how all-in he is with Gin. The scenes with him and his little sister, Eva, in this...LOVED!! I also like how things are developing with little sister Bria. And was completely and totally shocked about the revelations about Fletcher in this one....I did NOT see that coming. 

The danger side of the story lacked a little bit on this one for me and looking back I'm not quite sure why because I liked the whole LeFleur/Mab dynamic. For me, it seemed like Gin just wasn't as smart with some of her choices in this one as normal. She only lived because LeFleur made mistakes, not because Gin was the better assassin....I'm used to Gin being the best, most kick butt assassin. I didn't like seeing that she truly could have died in this one and that she only lived because of LeFleur's mistakes. Also, I don't think she gave Bria the credit she was due for the fact that they both lived. 

So overall, I rate the story lower for the action/adventure part of it, but I give it HUGE marks for the emotional/relationship part of the story. All in all, it was another great installment to the series. The question...will Mab go down in the next book? And Finn's new hook-up, I'm intrigued. hmm...

No comments: