Thursday, August 8, 2013

Sleeping with the Entity by Cat Devon

Title:  Sleeping with the Entity
Author: Cat Devon
My Rating: B 

Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Entity #1
Release Date: June 2013
Main Characters: Nick and Daniella
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy


Story Overview:
She has a sweet tooth and a dream.

Meet Daniella Delaney. She’s all ready to open her shop, Heavenly Cupcakes, in one of Chicago’s sleepier districts. But she’s having a hard time convincing the local business association—namely Nick St. George—that she’s a good addition to the neighborhood. Daniella hopes that her famous red velvet cupcakes will be enough to melt any man’s heart. But Nick is no ordinary man. He’s got fangs.

He has a constant craving...

As leader of the Vamptown clan, Nick has no intention of letting Daniella breathe new life into his old haunts. But something about her leaves Nick hungry…for more. He can’t control her mind like other humans, a trait that makes Daniella irresistible. Could it be that, for the first time in centuries, Nick has met his match? Love is always a force to be reckoned with. But can this vampire have his cake and eat it too?

My Review:

Okay, I'll tell you right up front, the reviews for this book are all over the place. For some people, the humor resonated with them and for some, it just really didn't. Luckily, I was one of those that really enjoyed the humor in this book. I thought it was fun, snarky, and light-hearted. I enjoyed reading it and the tongue in cheek comments throughout. I also really loved the opposites attract story between Daniella: cheerful, optimistic cupcake maker, and Nick: morose, serious, way too straight-laced vampire. I liked it!

Daniella's dad owns a building that he's letting her use rent-free for a year to get her cupcake business off the ground. What Daniella doesn't realize is that it's in the middle of Vamp City and as leader of the vamps, Nick doesn't want her cupcake shop in the neighborhood bringing in humans which could expose the vampires. But Daniella's a conundrum. She's the only human any of the vampires have ever come across that can't be compelled. It makes her intriguing...to Nick and to the rival gang of vampires too who suddenly seem to be after her. 

I liked the evolution of Nick and Daniella's relationship. They are definitely on different sides and have a very confrontational relationship because of it. BUT I love how cheerful Daniella stays in the face of Nick's grouchiness. Even when she's insulting him, she's doing it with a smile. I also really enjoyed the fact that she does even get downright mean to him...and she's never mean to anyone. It just shows how much he throws her off balance. 

I really enjoyed this whole world that Nick rules over...the bar that only serves vamps. The Vamp Cave, Pat and Bruce who are lovers but so completely different (Pat is a tattoo artist while Bruce is a former circus clown VERY in touch with his feminine side.) I even really enjoyed Neville...the Vamp Cave/computer techno geek. I think this is the start to a fun series and I already have book #2 sitting here waiting for me to read next.

Just be warned on these books...the covers are a bit deceiving. The books are about a vampire world, but they are very tongue-in-cheek, snarky, and just plain fun to read. There is a bit of intrigue too, but book #1 didn't have any of the serious dark menace that the cover seems to convey.

1 comment:

paperbackdaydreamer.com said...

I'm glad you brought up the fact that they story is actually funny, snarky and fun to read...the cover is deceiving! This sounds like a great start to a fun series, I'll have to keep my eye out for a chance to check it out. :-)