Thursday, August 22, 2013

Kept by Shawntelle Madison


Title:  Kept
Author: Shawntelle Madison
My Rating:  B+

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Coveted #2
Release Date: November 2012
Main Characters: Nat
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy


Story Overview:
Fresh from defending her pack in battle, Natalya Stravinsky, a whip-smart werewolf with a lovable neurotic streak, wants a little rest and relaxation. Once an outcast, she’s now eager to rejoin the ranks of her New Jersey pack, and has even gotten a handle on her obsessive urge to hoard holiday ornaments. Yet Nat barely has time to revel in her progress before the next crisis comes howling at her door.

Nat’s father has suddenly gone missing, captured by the Russian werewolf mafia. And as Nat steps up to save her dad from a mob boss’s deadly game, two men step in to play another round for her heart: her gorgeous alpha ex-boyfriend, Thorn, and her new flame, the sweetly sensitive wizard Nick. With her life growing more harried by the minute, Nat must stay cool, calm, and collected . . . or else risk losing everything.


My Review:

This book was a really good read, but I am not so sure about the overall book. The entire book I was completely frustrated and irritated with one of the characters...to the point, where I really wanted that character gone because he's toxic to Nat's happiness, but then something happened at the end with this character that I should probably be happy about, but I'm not. I just can't believe it. I know that's vague, but I don't want to give anything away.

But what I LOVED about this book was Nat. This girl kicked butt in this book. She gained some control over her OCD. She found some faith and hope within herself. In the first book, I didn't honestly think I would ever see a point where Nat was a strong character...that just wasn't her, but the author did it in this book and it was so believable. I liked how Nat's character and that side of the story developed for her. There were several moments within the book when I wanted to stand up and cheer for her. I love it when you can get behind the underdog and watch her overcome. She did that in this book...by herself...when anyone else would have been slinking away in dejected misery. I LOVED Nat in this book. 

And that's why the other side of the story line hurt so much. It seemed like every time she'd have this strong moment, that other character would come along and knock her down a peg or two. Not because he was trying to hurt her (he cares for her), but his circumstances are toxic to her. It made my heart hurt for her and I just wanted him to leave her alone.

But then everything changed in the last few pages of the book....and now I'm completely confused about what I want for Nat and this series. It will definitely be interesting to see where the author takes Nat next...I have a pretty strong feeling that it won't just be smooth sailing from here.

No comments: