Thursday, August 22, 2013

Coveted by Shawntelle Madison


Title:  Coveted
Author: Shawntelle Madison
My Rating: A- 

Genre: Urban Romance
Series: Covered #1
Release Date: April 2012
Main Characters: Nat
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
SOMETIMES WHAT YOU COVET IS IMPOSSIBLE TO KEEP.
 
For werewolf Natalya Stravinsky, the supernatural is nothing extraordinary. What does seem strange is that she’s stuck in her hometown of South Toms River, New Jersey, the outcast of her pack, selling antiques to finicky magical creatures. Restless and recovering from her split with gorgeous ex-boyfriend, Thorn, Nat finds comfort in an unusual place: her obsessively collected stash of holiday trinkets. But complications pile up faster than her ornaments when Thorn returns home—and the two discover that the spark between them remains intense.
 
Before Nat can sort out their relationship, she must face a more immediate and dangerous problem. Her pack is under attack from the savage Long Island werewolves—and Nat is their first target in a turf war. Toss in a handsome wizard vying for her affection, a therapy group for the anxious and enchanted, and the South Toms River pack leader ready to throw her to the wolves, and it’s enough to give anybody a panic attack. With the stakes as high as the full moon, Nat must summon all of her strength to save her pack and, ultimately, herself.

My Review:
Yay... a new Urban Fantasy series that I LOVE!! And let me just start out by saying that's not something I say very often as this usually isn't my favorite genre, but I love Natalya. She is such an unlikely heroine and that made me admire her even more.

Five years ago, Nat's life fell apart. There's a two page prologue that gives you just the slightest hint of what she lost and I spent so much of the book wondering how exactly it all went so wrong. Honestly that's really never truly answered, but there are other glimpses throughout of what there was between her and Thorn back then and it was really gorgeous especially as you get to know the two characters. In the shifter world, Nat is defective because she's OCD...like kick her out of the pack defective. In their world, mental illness creates a weak link and they just can't allow that for the pack to thrive. At issue is Thorn. He's going to be the next Alpha of the pack...oh, and he's promised to be mated to someone else.

So let's recap here....in the last five years, Nat lost Thorn, basically lost her mind (her OCD is WAY out of control...she has a hoarding issue with Christmas ornaments, and lost her pack. Yeah, she is NOT the typical heroine....except, she keeps having these moments of incredible strength and will. Honestly, this girl is beaten down in this book and she continues to rise above it. With every page, I began to admire her more and more. 

There are two guys in Nat's life, but this isn't truly a love triangle, because Thorn isn't available, even though he definitely still has feelings for her. My heart ached for him (and her) and the impossibility of the situation. But I hit a certain point where I was annoyed with him because for her to get better, he needs to stay away. Then there's the sorcerer Nick. I really, really like him although I worry about the two of them together since he also has severe OCD issues. I loved how he always showed up right when Nat needed him. Between that and his magic, right now, I am all Team Nick.

I have no idea where this series is going to go, but for me, Nat makes the series. I love her and her strength, even when she's supposed to be weak. She has flaws, big ones, but as a reader, I still love her and want her to be happy. Luckily, I have book #2 sitting here and waiting for me to dig in. I can't wait!

No comments: