Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Colton by Blood by Melissa Cutler

Title: Colton by Blood
Author: Melissa Cutler
My Rating: B-

Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: Coltons of Wyoming#2
Main Characters: Levi and Kate
Release Date: August 2013
Publisher: Harlequin
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: spicy


Story Overview:

Rising romantic suspense star Melissa Cutler reveals more secrets from the Coltons of Wyoming.

An unsolved murder haunts those who live and work at Dead River Ranch. When called to care for the ailing Colton patriarch, Dr. Levi Colton must face the father who never claimed him. He's not looking for distraction, but he finds it in Kate McCord, the irresistible pastry chef. Beneath her sweet smile are scars from her own tragedy and a determination for justice. 

As a wildfire forces them together with an unknown killer, Levi and Kate must confront an attraction that flares hotter than flames. They edge closer to the truth, discovering that the secret that links their pasts could lead them straight into the killer's trap.


My Review:


This is an interesting premise for a series. There are six authors writing six different books that follow the Colton family. There is an over-arcing romantic suspense line and that won't ultimately be solved until the final book. 

The Colton family is an extremely wealthy family in Wyoming. There are three daughters, a missing son, and then Levi is an illegitimate son who's never ever been acknowledged by his father. But Levi is a doctor so his half-sisters ask him to come help take care of their stubborn father who is dying from leukemia and refusing any sort of treatment at all. 

Kate is the pastry chef for the ranch. Six years ago her world fell apart when her husband and unborn child died in a car accident. Subsequently, she lost her bakery to bankruptcy and is just now getting back on top of her life again, six years later. A month before the book began, Kate's one friend on the ranch was murdered. Kate is determined that she can find the murderer.

I really liked Kate and Levi and the story with Levi's father. All the back stories there created amazingly deep, emotional characters that I loved. I also really loved the cooking aspect of the story although it really made me crave desserts all the way through reading it...LOL! 

What I didn't like was the one thing I'm sure Melissa Cutler had no control over, because I'm sure it was one of the things set by the overall creator of the series. I hated how large the servant/staff was for the ranch. It was so overwhelming with maids and cooks and I don't even know what all they all did...all bowing down to cater to the Colton family... that it gave the book a really historical feel to reading it. I hate reading historicals and that one little thing almost ruined this book for me. I just couldn't get past the feeling that this was a historical although everything else about it was very modern. I know...it makes no sense, but it's just a fact of my reading experience with this book. I wish the household basics had been set up differently, but I'm sure that will go into play in the overall suspense line since all indicators point to someone from the staff being the bad guy (don't worry, that wasn't a spoiler...that's stated from the very beginning of the book)...

But regardless of that, the book read well and was pretty entertaining. I'm dying to know what happened to Cole....

No comments: