Monday, July 15, 2013

The Winning Season by Alison Packard



Title:  The Winning Season
Author: Alison Packard
My Rating: A

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: -
Release Date: July 2013
Main Characters: Kelly and Matt
Publisher: Carina
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
Kelly Maxwell has finally landed her dream job as publicist for the San Francisco Blaze. But the team's newest member, handsome bad boy catcher Matt Scanlon, is refusing every interview. She's got to get him to open up before the season ends, or she may not be back next year. And after everything she overcame to achieve her dream, Kelly's not about to let that happen.

Matt Scanlon just wants to be left alone to rebuild his life and his career. After a year of masking the pain of a recent loss with hard partying and fast women, he finally hit rock bottom and was traded to a team he's loathed his entire life—a team with little to no chance at the post-season.

Butting heads is getting Kelly and Matt nowhere but annoyed, and with the team's schedule on the road, they can't avoid close quarters—or their surprising attraction to one another. As the season winds down, Matt finds his growing feelings for Kelly have brought his numbed emotions back to life. But when betrayal shatters their fragile trust, winning it all seems more impossible than ever.

My Review:
I liked this one. It has a great set-up. His entire life, Matt has been a Dodger's  fan, so when he gets to play for his favorite team, it's a dream come true, but that was before life dealt him a really harsh blow and he went into a year-long downward spiral. Now he has no one to blame but himself that he's been traded to the Dodger's biggest rival team, S.F. Blaze. At his heart, he's a Dodger, but now he has to work to defeat them. It's a huge uphill battle for many, many reasons.

But at the top of those reasons is Kelly. From the moment they met (when he was still in the middle of his downward spiral so he was REALLY NOT NICE) they have clashed. But now they have to work together. Kelly works in the PR office for the Blaze and she really needs Matt to do interviews, but Matt has refocused on baseball and only baseball. He has no intention to answer any questions about how he became the bad boy of baseball.  (But trust me when I say this...as I began to see  why he did what he did, my heart COMPLETELY melted for this guy!)

Kelly has her own issues. At 5'11", she's always been a huge tomboy and athletic. She extremely fit and tall. As a result of her height though, she has issues with self-image and has an eating disorder that is under control after many years of struggling with it. And with her job, she's always played down her femininity. It brought an interesting twist to the story and getting into a relationship with a guy who usually dates petite, blonde bimbos. 

There were moments throughout this book that were funny, sweet, sexy and yes, even really sad. Reading it definitely sent me through the full gamut of emotion, but never once did I want to put down the book. It was really enjoyable and I can't wait to read more from this author!

I loved both these characters. In fact, I loved ALL the characters in the book and I really hope that it's setting up for many more books to this series...J.T. and Angie, please??

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

3 comments:

paperbackdaydreamer.com said...

Another wonderful review Christi. :-) This one sounds very interesting and I love the idea of a leading lady who is not our average petite little thing! It always helps make characters more realistic when they "look" like an average girl and act like one to boot. :-) Guess I'm going to have to place this on my to be read shelf as well!

Christi Snow said...

It was REALLY good, Deanna!

paperbackdaydreamer.com said...

Ok, looks like I'll have to bump this one closer to the top of my reading list. :-D I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!!