Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Reason is You by Sharla Lovelace


Title:  The Reason is You
Author: Sharla Lovelace
My Rating: A+

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: -
Release Date: May 2013
Main Characters: Dani and Jason (and Alex)
Publisher: Berkley
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild


Story Overview:
In this"astonishing and glorious" (USA Today) romance from the bestselling Sharla Lovelace, a woman returns to her Texas hometown and rediscovers the meaning of true love...

In the small town of Bethany, Texas, Dani never fit in. Being different pushed her to the fringes of society, and even leaving town for two decades didn’t stop the talk. Now she’s back, trying to settle in with her daughter and have a normal life. But the men in her life might not make it that simple. First, there’s her old friend Alex. He’s mischievous, sexy, and still hot enough to melt her shoes. And he’s a ghost—a real one, who’s always been there for her when she most needed him. Of course, there are actual men in Bethany, too. Like Jason with his hard body. Dani seems to have a habit of running into him—literally. Now she must decide between a man who long ago touched her heart and a man she can actually touch

My review:

I'll admit, I was sold on this book simply from the story blurb...thank goodness, it lived up to my expectations. This book was so good and actually even exceeded what I'd hoped for it. Honestly, it was much funnier than I expected it to be.

Dani is 40 years old and moving back home, the place where she grew up and hated. She hated it because she was tormented the entire time she lived there. Because she saw dead people, she was always considered to be a freak. Now she's returning there a failure with her 16 yo daughter. Every instinct within her is telling her that this is the wrong move for her daughter Riley, but she has no choice.

Dani and Riley are incredible characters. Their relationship is awesome. (if you are familiar with Gilmore Girls, they reminded me of Rory and Lorelie) They definitely have those mother/daughter moments, but Dani keeps it so real with Riley. I loved that. She is also so self-depricating and honest, you can't help but to fall in love with her. And so much of her life is a mess right now. I loved Dani's character!!!

Then there are the guys...Alex, who's a ghost and has been with Dani since she was 16; and Jason, her new, alive, love interest. Seriously, there was no true win here. Both of these guys are awesome. The more that was revealed about Alex, the more I mourned for him and for Dani....because he isn't alive. How can there be a true future for them there?

This book was awesome. It was smart and entertaining and fun. Every single moment of reading it was awesome. I felt better for having read it and immediately upon finishing it, got online to order Sharla Lovelace's other book.

4 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

Getting it NOW!

Christi Snow said...

Yay, I hope you love it as much as I did, Felicia..although from what I've seen, everyone LOVES this book. On Amazon, I think there is only one four star....everyone else gave it five! Yes, it's just that good! smiles....

sharlalovelace.com said...

Wow, thank you Christi!!! And I'm over the moon about the Gilmore Girl reference, because that used to be my favorite show and my daughter and I NEVER missed it. I love that you compared Dani and Riley to Lorelai and Rory! :)

Patricia Eimer said...

Can't wait to give it a read