Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Officer and the Secret by Jeanette Murray



Title: The Officer Breaks the Rules
Author: Jeanette Murray
My Rating: A-



Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Semper Fi #3
Main Characters: Dwayne and Veronica
Release Date: July 2013
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
After a rougher than expected deployment, Captain Dwayne Robertson craves the sense of normalcy that his friends can bring him. But when he returns home, there's an unexpected, but pleasant, twist in the mix—Veronica Gibson. As he struggles to adjust to daily life again, Dwayne craves Veronica and the peace she brings him. But Veronica isn't without faults. Dwayne hates lies, and Veronica's entire past is a well-guarded mystery. When the completely unexpected happens, they both realize it's time to lay their cards on the table and hope they're ready for love.

My Review:
I've gotten to read all three of the books in this trilogy and I've enjoyed all three of them. This one was good, too. In fact, this may be my favorite of the trilogy even though this particular trope (that happens midway through the book so we won't discuss the specifics of it) isn't usually one of my favorites.

But the combination of Dwayne's PTSD and Veronica's social awkwardness completely worked for me. It really worked for me because we got to see glimpses of them in the last book as they got to know each other via Skype while Dwayne was deployed. They have that pseudo-friendship to start with although they've never actually met in person before. 

When the book begins, you can't help but feel for Dwayne. He's always been the life of the party, but coming back, crowds make him uncomfortable and honestly freak him out. None of his friends see it, but Veronica, who's always sitting back and observing things, does. 

Veronica has her own issues. She was raised in the wilds of third world countries by extremely religious parents who definitely did not put the needs of their child first... or honestly, ever even considered them. Her upbringing sounds horrendous and more than borderline abusive. As a result, she's NEVER learned how to relate to people, was never educated, and has no idea about basics like sex or just how basic things work in the American world. She is truly a virgin when it comes to every single social aspect of American life. She simply doesn't know, but has learned not to reveal that because it makes her weird.

But the two of them together are good...for the most part, until Dwayne's past comes back to haunt them. At that point in the book, I hurt so much for Veronica....I just wanted to cry for her. And that was the one thing about this book that bothered me and brought the rating down from a "A" for me...Dwayne truly never got to find out just how innocent Veronica was when they got together. That's never revealed completely in the story and I wanted that for her so he would really understand her difficulties and how much his distrust of her wounded her. Not that I truly blame him either, except for one tiny point which he kept harping on about....because at the point when she said that one thing that he kept on about, it didn't matter anymore. *ugh* And I know that's completely vague, but you'll understand when you read the book. (I'm trying to keep this spoiler-free!)

And you do need to read the book. In fact, you really should read this whole series. I've loved getting to know this group of friends in the Marines. It's been just a fun, entertaining series and coming from a military background, I've thoroughly enjoyed it!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: