Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pickup Men by L.C. Chase

Title:  Pickup Men
Author: L.C. Chase
My Rating: B

Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: #1
Release Date: July 2013
Main Characters: Tripp and Marty
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot



Story Overview:
It takes a pissed-off Brahma bull named Shockwave to show rodeo pickup man Marty Fairgrave the cold hard truth about champion bull rider Tripp Colby: Tripp will never leave the safety of his closet or acknowledge Marty in public. Sometimes loving someone just isn’t enough, and after a year of hiding what they are, Marty finally sees the light—and it’s no longer shining on Tripp.

Tripp Colby would do anything for Marty. Well . . . almost. He’s never loved anyone before, and isn’t quite sure how to handle it now. But he knows Marty is his everything, and in order to win him back, Tripp will have to overcome his darkest fears and step into the light.

But no matter Tripp’s intentions, the cost might be too high and the effort too late for these two cowboys to ride off into the sunset.

My Review:
I grew up in Oklahoma and Texas going to rodeos and I have never heard the term Pickup Men before, but I love that this series follows those guys. The book starts with Marty doing his job as a Pickup Man in the bull rider competition with his lover, Tripp, who's a competitor. Things go south and Marty puts himself and his horse in the path of the bull, saving Tripp from injury, but getting injured himself. 

Marty and Tripp have been lovers for a while, but when Marty gets hurt and Tripp does nothing to comfort or check on him, which would 'out' Tripp, Marty realizes that it's time to step away from the relationship. He deserves better than to be hidden away in the closet. And the story develops from there.

It's a bit hard to like Tripp at the beginning of this book because he is so caught up in the lie he is living. How can you respect a guy like that regardless of how strong his feelings are? But as the story unfolds, his reasons become more apparent and understandable. Then there are a whole new set of complications. 

Overall, this was a book that I enjoyed. It was interesting to see the life behind the rodeo, although there are some rodeo-specific sentences and phrases in the book that drove me crazy because they were so over-the-top corny. Believe me, I live in ranch country of Texas....NO ONE talks that way. *gah* But for the most part, the story and set-up worked for me...to the point where I'm pretty sure I will check out book #2 when it comes out.

3 comments:

paperbackdaydreamer.com said...

I'm very suprised that you've never heard of the term Pickup Men. I live in Kansas and at all of the rodeos in our area that is what they refer to the guys as who are there to make sure the cowboy is as safe as possible if they get stuck on the bull or if they fall off, they are also the guys that have to rope the bulls and drag them back into the chute if they are taking their sweet time to get out of the arena after a ride is over. I think it's fun to see different areas of the country using different terminology...what do you call them in your area??

Ok, on to your review. :-) This was a wonderful review and I'm happy that I have you to try to expand my horizons into some more m/m romances. I'm not sure why I have such a hard time with the idea of reading them especially when they have such wonderful story lines! I'll wait to see your thoughts on book 2 before checking this one out...but I do love the cover! :-D

Christi Snow said...

Oh, Deanna...I wasn't talking about the fact that they call them something else here. I just honestly have never heard anyone refer to them, so it's nice to see a focus on the importance of their jobs. No one ever talks about the guys who do the pickup...at that point in the rodeo, they tend to focus on the clowns distracting the bull.

Obviously, I love m/m romance...just something about two guys falling in love that I really enjoy. smiles...

paperbackdaydreamer.com said...

Haha, oh ok. I totally misread that! I went to the rodeo this past week and was still wondering what you call the pickup guys. I just learned they are also known as wranglers. LOL. But I get what you mean, no one talks about them they always focus on the cowboys participating in the rodeo or the clowns. :-D