Thursday, July 25, 2013

Fifth Grave Past the Light by Darynda Jones



Title:  Fifth Grave Past the Light
Author: Darynda Jones
My Rating: A 

Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Charley Davidson #5
Release Date: July 2013
Main Characters: Charley
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
Charley Davidson may not look like your everyday, run-of-the-mill grim reaper, but she has vowed to reap grimness wherever she goes despite this unfortunate fact. Sadly, she gets sidetracked when the sexy, sultry son of Satan, Reyes Farrow, moves in next door. As he is the main suspect in her arson case, she is determined to stay away from him until she can find out the truth. According to her therapist, however, she lacks conviction.

When dead women start appearing in her apartment - lost, confused and terrified beyond reason - Charley has no choice but to ask for Reyes's help, especially when it becomes apparent that her own sister Gemma is the serial killer's next target. With his ability to observe incorporeally, surely he can find out who's responsible. And even if he can't, he is the one man alive who could protect Gemma no matter who or what came at her. But he wants something in return: Charley. All of her - body and soul. And to keep her sister safe, it is a price she is willing to pay…


My Review:
*happy sigh* This book went all the places I hoped it would go. Yay, yay, yay! I liked how much more background we got into the how and why Reyes and Charley work and came to be in the place that they are. 

I enjoyed all the various story lines, although the serial killer's blondes were seriously creepy, but the pixie...melt my heart when that part of the story resolved...tears. 

My heart went out to Garrett and the new levels to his story. I'm curious as to if we will ever see Donovan again...I'm thinking we will eventually and things will be VERY interesting when he comes back. I love where things went with Reyes. I loved how much more his feelings and pure need for Charley shown through on this book...while keeping him the stoic, completely alpha tough guy. I love the way that Darynda Jones has written his character. Everything about him works on ALL levels. hmm, yes, I do love this bad boy. 

And then Charley...she has it hard this book. It seemed like she was always hurt throughout this book. It was definitely the hardest book on her physically and mentally. It was interesting to see her have to reach into her dark side a bit. I have a feeling that is going to begin to have repercussions in later books. But I continue to love her character. Her mind is a beautiful, chaotic, completely funny, and bizarre place to be and throughout every single book, I am so glad that Darynda Jones has invited us into it. These books make me happy with all the things Charley names, to her need for coffee, and her bizarre ghosts. She leads an incredible life and the fact that she maintains her sense of humor throughout makes these at the top of my books that I enjoy reading.

1 comment:

paperbackdaydreamer.com said...

:-( I REALLY NEED TO PICK THIS SERIES UP!!!! LOL. I'm putting myself up for a challenge in October...I think I should at least check out the first book that month. Also, is this seriously the cover for the 5th book??!! What happened to the fun covers with the model and scythe? I'm so happy that you've been enjoying this series so much, and for it to be at the top of your enjoyed book list...I need to get on it already. LOL.