Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Newcomer by Robyn Carr

Title:  The Newcomer
Author: Robyn Carr
My Rating:
 C+

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Thunder Point #2
Main Characters: Coop and Sarah; Mac and Gina
Release Date: June 2013
Publisher: Harlequin
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy



Story Overview:
Single dad and Thunder Point's deputy sheriff "Mac" McCain has worked hard to keep everyone safe and happy. Now he's found his own happiness with Gina James. The longtime friends have always shared the challenges and rewards of raising their adolescent daughters. With an unexpected romance growing between them, they're feeling like teenagers themselves-suddenly they can't get enough of one another. 

And just when things are really taking off, their lives are suddenly thrown into chaos. When Mac's long-lost-and not missed-ex-wife shows up in town, drama takes on a whole new meaning. They're wondering if their new feelings for each other can withstand the pressure...but they are not going down without a fight. 

Step into the world of Thunder Point, a little town on the Oregon coast where newcomers are welcomed, hearts are broken and mended, and the dramas of everyday life keep the locals laughing, crying and falling in love.

My Review:
I'll admit. I don't know what to do with this series as far as reviews go. I set the book down at the 29% point when I was reading and decided at that point, that this simply wasn't a series for me. By the end of the book, I changed my mind, but these are books are NOT typical romance. And that doesn't make them bad, but the reader needs to go into them knowing that. These books are far more along the lines of a soap opera. They tell the story of a bunch of character concurrently and in this particular book, it meant throwing as much drama at those characters as humanly possible.  It is definitely not my favorite style of book...at all, but I will admit the book kept my interest and was entertaining overall.

This book continues the story of the couples that we met in book #1, Gina & Mac and Sarah & Coop...as well as all their teenage kids and we see a LOT of drama through the teenage lives in this one.  Seriously....think soap opera going into this book because there is a LOT of drama from a LOT of different angles. Truly it got to be a little bit much for me. BUT that being said, like with soap operas I found myself riveted to the story. There's a reason I never turn them on in the first place. 

And this review is sounding like the book, meandering all over the place. So, the review:

1. Overall, I DO really like these characters and the setting of Thundering Point.

2. I wish that Robyn Carr would settle though and focus on one main story per book. Maybe then it wouldn't feel so soap opera-ish.

3. There are WAY TOO MANY POV's in this book...that's just a personal pet peeve. But seriously, stick to 2-4 and the book would feel much more cohesive.

4. The Newcomer?? Wtf?? Who was that supposed to be? My only guess was that it was Coop because at one point at the end of the book they call him that, but the first book was The Wanderer which was also him and that makes it sound like the series revolves around him and it totally does NOT! I did not get the title.

5. The next book in the series is The Hero and from the description follows Spencer, who we meet in this book. I really liked him as a character, but am really torn as to whether or not I will read more in this series. That book will also have to take place at least six months into the future to work for me with his story line that we saw in this book. 

Overall, to me, this book was disappointing, but Robyn Carr is an amazing writer. She weaves the story amazingly well so that as you read, you are in this small town with these characters. My issues with the book were purely based on the subjective things, not on the writing. This is simply not a style of book that I enjoy.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review. 


No comments: