Friday, June 7, 2013

Maid for Love (audiobook) by Marie Force


Title: Maid for Love 
Author: Marie Force
My RatingB+
Narrator: Holly Fielding


Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Series: McCarthy's #1
Main Characters: Maddie and Mac
Release Date: January 2013
Publisher: audible
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview: Maddie Chester is determined to leave her hometown of Gansett Island, a place that has brought her only bad memories and ugly rumors. Then she's knocked off her bike on the way to her housekeeping job at McCarthy's Resort Hotel by Gansett's "favorite son", Mac McCarthy. He's back in town to help his father with preparations to sell the family resort and has no intention of staying long. When Mac accidentally sends Maddie flying over the handlebars, badly injuring her, he moves in to nurse her back to health and help care for her young son. He soon realizes his plans for a hit-and-run visit to the island are in serious jeopardy, and he just may be "maid" for love.


My Review:
Overall...  4 star
Performance....  4.5 star
Story...  4 star

This is a series that has been on my reading radar FOREVER, so when it came time to pick out another audio, it came to mind. I'm so happy that I chose to listen to this audiobook. These aren't really long books, so on audio, they last about 6 hours. That's PERFECT for me because I don't get a whole lot of audiobook time. 

This was a good one. I thought the romance was really sweet and the narrator did an amazing job with the inflections and voices. Maddie has been burned both by men and the McCarthy family. It was a great conflict for the book set-up as Mac quickly falls for her, but she is REALLY reluctant to get involved with him. 

I liked how Mac was all in and she wasn't. I really like that set-up for books, and thought it was especially effective in this book because Mac is the rich, hunky "catch", whereas most people really look down on her on the island. I thought Maddie was a great character. She's been so incredibly wronged, you just can't help falling in love with her and the strength she exhibits. She's extremely proud and independent and strong and you have to admire her gumption in the face of everything she's gone through. I liked her and I loved Mac that he immediately saw that everything the island says about her is so wrong. He SEES her and knows that she's so much more. It's almost an insta-love for him which rarely works for me as a reader, but I'll admit, it definitely worked for me in this book. 

I'll admit when the book started, I loved Mac, but I know that Marie Force has written a whole series about the McCarthy family and was immediately worried about the rest of the series....because early on, the McCarthy's DO NOT make a good impression. Seriously, mom is NOT a nice person. *ugh* I really, really, really disliked her. But as the book moved along, I discovered more and I'm sold. I can't wait to read/listen to the whole series. 

No comments: