Thursday, May 2, 2013

Wings of Love by Scotty Cade


Title: Wings of Love
Author: Scotty Cade
My Rating: B




Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: Love #1
Main Characters: Brad and Jeff
Release Date: April 2013
Publisher: Dreamspinner
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Devastated after losing his partner of fifteen years to cancer, Dr. Bradford Mitchell tries to escape the emptiness and loss by leaving his life in Seattle behind. Traveling to the Alaskan mountains where he and Jeff often vacationed, Brad reconnects with Mac Cleary, the ruggedly handsome and very straight floatplane pilot who had flown them to Hyline Lake many times in the past. Brad and Mac form an unlikely friendship and buy an old log cabin together, and as he and Mac begin to bring the old cabin back to life, Mac watches Brad come back to life as well, stirring emotions in him he’s never felt for a man before.

When fear, confusion, and a near tragedy threaten to force the two men apart, they’ll face some tough questions. Can Brad let go of Jeff and the guilt he feels about beginning to care for another man? And can Mac deal with his fears of being gay and accept the fact that he is in love with Brad? It will be a struggle for both men to keep their heads and hearts intact while exploring what life has to offer.

My Review:
I bought this book on a high recommendation from a friend. While I enjoyed it, I didn't enjoy it quite as much as she did. The premise is interesting: one guy, Brad, who's gay and his partner of fifteen years just died of cancer; the other guy, Mac, who's in his 40's, been straight his entire life, but can commiserate with Brad because his wife died. They've both suffered catastrophic loss and bond and become friends over that commonality. To the point, where they decide to buy a very remote cabin together...as friends, nothing more.

But you know this is a gay romance novel, things are going to develop. Where Scotty Cade wrote this really well is how slowly he built up this relationship. That part of the story was perfection. I could believe the way this relationship developed. These guys truly fell in love with the other based on the person, not the sex. I liked that connection they have....a great friends to lovers story.

The Alaskan/cabin side of the story was awesome. I love the outdoors, the idea of a secluded cabin, and the idea of getting trapped in a snowstorm....all things that Scotty Cade used to its full potential in this book. He also managed to build some great suspense at the end of the story when the status of these guys' relationship was in doubt. 

My only complaint with this book was that sometimes the dialogue just became too sickly sweet for me. There were a few times where I even rolled my eyes. But overall, I really, really enjoyed the story, the setting, the characters...and all of it. Now I need to decide if I'm going to read the next three in the series...I'm thinking I probably will.

1 comment:

Patricia Eimer said...

sounds interesting.