Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Untimely Death of Brody Walsh by J.A. Howell

Title: The Untimely Death of Brody Walsh
Author: J.A. Howell
My RatingA




Genre: Suspense
Series: The Possess Saga #2
Main Characters: Brody
Release Date: March 2013
Purchase Links: Amazon
Sexual Intensity: spicy


Story Overview:
Brody Walsh’s life is left in disarray when his girlfriend is found brutally raped and murdered. But it completely shatters when his best friend, Nolan is arrested for the crime.

Even as the media is portraying him as a monster, Brody knows Nolan isn’t capable of murder.

That leaves the question: Who is?

Once the trial begins, Brody discovers just how little he knew about his girlfriend, spurring him to dig into her past for possible answers. And as Aggie, his long time confidant and childhood crush, stands by his side through all of this, he finds his own past resurfacing when his feelings for her reignite. But as the media and the prosecutors close in on Nolan, ready to convict him for a crime he didn’t commit, Brody will be forced to make a choice.

A choice that will lead to his untimely death.


My Review:
This is such a tough book to read...you are following Brody's POV throughout it and there is never any doubt that he's going to die in the end. It makes it a bit heart-shredding to read, but it was so good to get this whole side of the backstory to what happened in Possess. I especially loved the heartbreaking insight into what Nolan went through....OMG, I wanted to simply weep for him.

This book is the second book in the series, but it actually pre-dates book #1 in that it tells the whole story of how Brody came to be murdered. This book fills in so much and even though it broke my heart to read it, I love how J.A. Howell did this novella. Seriously, every single little question from book #1 is answered...and the answers give you the reader so much. I feel like I should re-read Possess again now and see if knowing more of the story breaks my heart even more. I think it would, but I absolutely agree with the way that the author laid out the facts in the two books. Those little questions are what keeps you reading and involved 110% in this story.

I understand that Aggie's story is next. She's integral in this group of three friends: Nolan, Brody, and Aggie. She lost so much during these events. I'm ready to read her story and hope that she finds some happiness to come. It will be interesting to see if Brody's ghost hangs around for her book. That could make things REALLY interesting and I have to admit, I hope he does. Having him as  a ghost makes his death a little easier to take. 

I highly recommend the two books out so far in the series. They were amazingly entertaining and suspenseful reading. They kept me up WAY past my bedtime, but the loss of sleep was totally worth it!

No comments: