Thursday, May 23, 2013

Sworn to Protect by Jo Davis

Title: Sworn to Protect
Author: Jo Davis
My Rating: B


Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: Sugarland Blues #1
Main Characters: Shane and Daisy
Release Date: May 2013
Publisher: Signet
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
Sugarland loves their men in blue, especially Detective Shane Ford. But Shane’s mission to protect and to serve has just gotten personal…

Detective Shane Ford, Sugarland’s favorite cop, has been blindsided by the sudden death of his best friend, NFL star Brad Cooper, and becoming the legal guardian of Brad’s son, Drew—a bitter, angry sixteen-year-old with a dangerous secret. Shane is determined to pry the truth from Drew, but only manages to alienate him—and winds up going head to head with Juvenile Detective Daisy Callahan, whose job is to protect the teen’s best interests.

Shane has always been drawn to Daisy’s beauty and strength, but he’s determined not to allow their intense attraction to interfere with his duty ever again. It’s a vow that will prove difficult to keep, as the realities of Shane and Daisy’s blossoming love and their growing bond with the grieving teen propel Shane headlong into danger for the new family he’s sworn to protect.

My Review:
This was a pretty good book. The issue I had with it probably wouldn't have happened if I didn't read the novella before it. In that novella, Shane and Daisy hook up. The thing is at the time of the hook-up, Daisy was very clear that she knew Shane wasn't a long-term guy. She knew that and even acknowledged it in that novella. But suddenly at the start of this book. she's hurt and wounded and angry because she expected more from Shane. That just didn't sit right with the way that everything was presented in the novella and it really affected my enjoyment of this book. That reaction didn't fit.

Besides that, this was an enjoyable book. Shane's best friend Brad suddenly dies leaving Shane to care for his 16 yo son. Suddenly Shane is faced with responsibility, a family, and mortality along with a hurting, confused teenager. Enter Daisy, cop who works with troubled teens into the scene. That part of the story was a great set-up. I loved the addition to Brad and what he added to the story. He's hurting so much and as a typical teen, tends to lash out and act rashly although he's not a bad kid. As a reader, my heart broke for him. He definitely added a lot of emotion to the story and the whole story pretty much circles around him and the mystery of his father's death, which worked for me.

This book is setting up the entire series and I'm excited. I like the cops we've seen and how they all interact with the firemen that we love from Jo Davis's previous series. That was especially true of this first book because Shane's twin sister, Shea, is married to one of those firemen so both those characters played heavily in this story. While this first book didn't hit all the perfect buttons for me, I can already tell that the series as a whole is going to. I'm excited about it and can't wait for the next book. 

1 comment:

Brianna (The Book Vixen) said...

When I was reading this one, I kept wondering how Daisy and Shane's relationship first started. And how exactly had it ended. But from what you've mentioned, you're right, it doesn't make sense that Daisy was all hurt and wounded at the beginning of this book when she was perfectly fine with it in the novella.

The Drew story arc didn't work for me. I ended up DNFing the book because there was too much perspective from Drew's POV. I knew going into this book that there was a child plot moppet but I didn't like that the narration switched over to his POV. It felt like I was reading half a YA novel and half a romance novel.

I really enjoyed this author's firefighter series and that's why I was super excited to read this book. But this first book wasn't for me. I may check out the second book when it comes out and just hope for no more child plot moppets.