Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mind Games (audiobook) by Carolyn Crane

Title: Mind Games (audiobook)
Author: Carolyn Crane
My Rating: A+ 
Narrator: Rebecca Wisocky


Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: The Disillusionists #1
Main Characters: Justine
Release Date: March 2010
Publisher: Spectra
Audiobook: Audible Frontiers
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
JUSTINE KNOWS SHE’S GOING TO DIE. ANY SECOND NOW.
 
Justine Jones has a secret. A hardcore hypochondriac, she’s convinced a blood vessel is about to burst in her brain. Then, out of the blue, a startlingly handsome man named Packard peers into Justine’s soul and invites her to join his private crime-fighting team. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime deal. With a little of Packard’s hands-on training, Justine can weaponize her neurosis, turning it outward on Midcity’s worst criminals, and finally get the freedom from fear she’s always craved. End of problem. 

Or is it? In Midcity, a dashing police chief is fighting a unique breed of outlaw with more than human powers. And while Justine’s first missions, including one against a nymphomaniac husband-killer, are thrilling successes, there is more to Packard than meets the eye. Soon, while battling her attraction to two very different men, Justine is plunging deeper into a world of wizardry, eroticism, and cosmic secrets. With Packard’s help, Justine has freed herself from her madness—only to discover a reality more frightening than anyone’s worst fears.

My Review:
Wow...just wow! This book and the idea behind it is so amazingly and utterly ridiculous that it's brilliant! Seriously, the author has taken a band of neurotic misfits and made it so that they can use those neurosis as weapons for the greater good of society!

Justine is a new member in the group of Disillusionists. Her super-power, severe hypochondria. Packard is the leader of this misfit bunch and I loved the dichotomy between the two of them shifted so much and so many times throughout the book. I love that Justine is honestly just a normal woman...I could see as a friend I would make in the coffee store. She's normal and as a normal, although highly neurotic, person, she has questions and doubts and makes wrong choices all the time. I love how unsure she is all the time. She wants to do the right thing and is constantly having to weigh that in her mind if what she's doing is right or not. Because the justice the disillusionists dish out...is justice without a trial. Packard is judge and jury. I love how torn she is about it all...it makes her even more likable and human. 

There is a lot that happens in this first book and a lot of relationships twist and transition within Justine's life. I don't want to spoil any of that, but wow...seriously emotional stuff happening within her life...because Packard tricked her into this life. I can understand and empathize with her anger with him. BUT that being said, I still love him and think their connection is true. I'm torn with the way that the story ended because I like that character too. Like Justine, I'm not sure who she should trust and who's true...right now. That will probably change with the next book. 

Suffice it to say, I LOVED this book. Everything about it...I'm in love. Justine is a strong character while maintaining a normal-girl feel that I really enjoy reading. There's a ton of humor in this book, but some great angsty moments too. I can't wait to see where things go from here, because everything changed at the end of the book. 

BTW, I did listen to this book on audio until the last few chapters when I couldn't stand the suspense anymore and had to pick up my print book to finish it. The narrator is phenomenal on this. Her inflections and different accents are incredible....and I love it. To the point where I bought the second book on audio too. Audio takes a special patience in really good books because it takes about 3 times as long to get through them...and I have all these books in print. BUT the narrator on this one is so phenomenal, I chose to go the long route again...at least to start for the second book. 



2 comments:

Felicia the Geeky Blogger said...

The whole series is a mind f*ck in a good way. LOVE SIMON! :)

Christi Snow said...

aww, yeah...Simon definitely came into his own during the series. It's a great series!! smiles...