Monday, May 20, 2013

Living Dangerously by Dee J. Adams

Title:  Living Dangerously 
Author: Dee J. Adams
My Rating: B-


Genre: Romantic Suspense
Series: Adrenaline Highs #4
Main Characters: Julie and Troy
Release Date:  May 2013
Publisher: Carina Press
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot



Story Overview:
Julie Fraser, Hollywood's newest "it" girl, arrives on the red carpet to more than just the flashes of the paparazzi's cameras. A sniper's shots leave her bleeding and in the line of fire. Her life would be over if it weren't for the bodyguard who comes to the rescue—taking a bullet in the process.

Troy Mills, a P.I. working undercover, couldn't stand by and watch an innocent woman die, but now he's torn. How can he tell her that he's not a bodyguard, but a P.I.? A P.I. hired to prove that Julie is sleeping with the movie producer he's pretending to protect.

When a second attempt is made on Julie's life, Troy realizes that keeping her safe is more important than any supposed affair. And in order to keep her safe, he'll have to keep her close. But desire and danger are hot on Julie's heels. Who could have guessed that protecting an A-list actress would not only put Troy's life in jeopardy, but his heart as well?

My Review:
The set-up of this book was interesting. I liked Troy and the fact that he kept saving Julie's life...just by being at the right place at the right time. The fact that he's a PI investigating someone she's supposedly involved with helps that, but I felt like it was a good premise. I liked their chemistry and how real Julie is even though she's a huge movie star. In the book, I felt like we got to know Julie better just because most of the book takes place on her home turf. That's why I liked it when Dee J. Adams switched things up at the end to give insight into Troy. And wow...I knew the guy was an introvert, but when we found out why...just Wow. I did not see that twist in his story line coming. 

Their chemistry together was amazing and definitely the best thing about this book. I loved reading it when it was just the two of them. They had fun, witty exchanges which just made that part of the book fun to read. 

This book is pretty long. I almost think it's too long. When it began, I absolutely loved it, but the middle dragged a bit and I could have walked away from it. I hate that. When I'm reading romantic suspense, I want to be at the edge of my seat the entire time. I think part of the problem was that there was never any real mystery as to who was the bad guy...I figured it out at about the 25% point and then everything was revealed within the book at 65%. I would have been much happier if the book had been over around then and at that point in time, I would have rated this book much higher. Instead, the author chose to focus on the bad guys and honestly, I just wasn't that interested in learning the details of what they were doing. 

Overall, not my favorite of the series, but it was still an interesting book. 

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

1 comment:

Herding Cats - Burning Soup said...

I saw this series not too long ago and was thinking about picking it up. Thanks for the reminder. I love chemistry like that between a hero and heroine. I've read a couple that went on a little too long too. Glad you enjoyed it overall though!

~Anna
herding cats & burning soup