Saturday, May 11, 2013

Double Cross by Carolyn Crane

Title: Double Cross 
Author: Carolyn Crane
My Rating: A 


Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: The Disillusionists #2
Main Characters: Justine
Release Date: September 2010
Publisher: Spectra
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: mild



Story Overview:
SOME SECRETS COME BACK TO HAUNT. OTHERS COME TO KILL.
 
Justine Jones lived her life as a fearful hypochondriac until she was lured into the web of a mysterious mastermind named Packard, who gifts her with extraordinary mental powers—dooming her to fight Midcity’s shadowy war on paranormal crime in order to find the peace she so desperately craves.

But now serial killers with unheard-of skills are terrorizing the most powerful beings in Midcity, including mastermind Packard and his oldest friend and worst enemy, Midcity’s new mayor, who has the ability to bend matter itself to his will.  

As the body count grows, Justine faces a crisis of conscience as she tests the limits of her new powers and faces an impossible choice between two flawed but brilliant men—one on a journey of redemption, the other descending into a pit of moral depravity.


My Review:
OMG, OMG, OMG! I cannot believe the way that this book ended. OMG...so much twisted and changed in this book. I have to admit that I saw a lot of it coming, but still...OMG!

This book seemed more compact than the first book....not quite so many different story lines going on, but the effects of what did happen in this one are HUGE! Emotionally, I'm a bit shattered...not truly shocked, but wow...and honestly don't even want to take the time to write this review before I pick up book #3. OMG! 

I'm thinking that Avery may have had it right that the high caps need to be stopped if this is the kind of power that they can wield. NOT good! And I don't want to post any spoilers so I'm probably just going to continue to stutter along here.

In this book, Justine is having more issues than normal with what Packard and Otto are asking her to do. She just doesn't feel that zinging her negative emotions into another person against their will, even to change their evil ways, is right. She's struggling with it throughout most of this book. And as always, there's the whole issue that she is doing this to people who have not been judged and convicted in court. It's only basically at the whims of one person that she does her job. That doesn't sit right with her and it never has, but circumstances are such that she's having more and more problems with it. 

Then there's the men in her life...Otto and Packard, childhood friends who are now frenemies. They have a pseudo alliance in this book, and you know as the reader, that you are just waiting for the shoe to drop...and when it does...OMG, just be ready for the explosion. 

I still continue to love Justine as a heroine. She's conflicted... on so many fronts and that makes her seem to be so much more than just a character in a book. She seems normal and I read her story and it's so easy to put myself in her place. Overall, it's really just a fun and brilliant series. I can't wait to see how Carolyn Crane finishes it off....I have a feeling it's going to be really, really good!



2 comments:

Herding Cats - Burning Soup said...

Oh my word. Yeah the ending on this one was killer!! I still haven't picked up book three but you so reminded me in NEED TO!!! Such a crazy world.

~Anna

Christi Snow said...

oooh, Anna....you do need to read it!! That review is going up tomorrow. It was a GREAT conclusion to the series!! Go pick it up now!!