Sunday, April 14, 2013

Quickie Review: Lover At Last by J.R. Ward

Lover at Last 
by J.R. Ward
My Rating: A- 
but it comes with disclaimers....I didn't read the whole book!



Story Overview:
Qhuinn, son of no one, is used to being on his own. Disavowed from his bloodline, shunned by the aristocracy, he has finally found an identity as one of the most brutal fighters in the war against the Lessening Society. But his life is not complete. Even as the prospect of having a family of his own seems to be within reach, he is empty on the inside, his heart given to another....

Blay, after years of unrequited love, has moved on from his feelings for Qhuinn. And it’s about time: The male has found his perfect match in a Chosen female, and they are going to have a young—just as Qhuinn has always wanted for himself. It’s hard to see the new couple together, but building your life around a pipe dream is just a heartbreak waiting to happen. As he’s learned firsthand.

Fate seems to have taken these vampire soldiers in different directions... but as the battle over the race’s throne intensifies, and new players on the scene in Caldwell create mortal danger for the Brotherhood, Qhuinn finally learns the true definition of courage, and two hearts who are meant to be together... finally become one.

My Review:
This is a quickie review for one reason...I didn't read the whole book....I only read the Qhuinn and Blay sections. I know...I hear the gasps, but I think it's time for me to step away from the J.R. Ward books. Unless I can read them back-to-back, I honestly just cannot keep up with who is who and the politics of it all. The world has become too big and complex for me to read them, read 400 books between releases, and expect to remember all the details when the new book comes out....and I don't have time to go back and do a re-read for every release. 

Of course, when it came to Blay and Qhuinn's story, I loved it. Honestly, I love J.R. Ward's style and I fell in love with these characters a LONG time ago. She would have had to worked really hard to mess this story up for me. I liked the way that it unfolded and I fell even further in love with Qhuinn. This poor guy has been put through the wringer in his life. No spoilers, I promise....but when the robed guys came to get him and he thought something else was happening, I just wanted to cry for him.  All his life, he has just not been able to catch a break....and the bad part is, he had absolutely NO CONTROL over why it all happened....born with one blue eye and one green. It's so wrong and so heartbreaking. 

I'm not as in love with Blay. Qhuinn loves him and that's good enough for me. I understand why he's done what he's done and that he isn't reading the book so he has no clue why Qhuinn has done what he's done. 

I will say right now, at this point, I don't plan to read anymore books in the series. I'll probably buy them and stick them on my shelf. Then when they are all out, I'll shut down my life and read the entire series back-to-back. I just hope at that point there aren't 50 books in the series. LOL.

1 comment:

Kim Muhl said...

No gasping from me. I feel the exact same way, except I haven't read this or the one before. The politics and stories within the story are getting overwhelming :/