Saturday, April 6, 2013

Own the Wind by Kristen Ashley

Title: Own the Wind
Author: Kristen Ashley
My RatingA-

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Chaos #1
Main Characters: Tabby and Shy
Release Date: April 2013
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: hot



Story Overview:
Tabitha Allen has a not-so-secret crush on Parker "Shy" Cage. Shy thinks he knows the path Tabby's on and it isn't a good one. So he decides to teach her a lesson to lead her to the right path. 

Unfortunately, he was wrong and his actions wound Tabby, breaking her heart. It's Tabby who then teaches Shy a lesson about casting judgment and Shy Cage learns what it feels like to be invisible. But when tragedy strikes and Tabby's heart is broken again, Shy does what he can in the background to help. Trying to forget her heartbreak, Tabby finds herself in danger. To keep it secret from her biker family, the Chaos Motorcycle Club, she calls Shy to rescue her. But when she lets him back in, she gets much more than she bargained for.

My Review:
Kristen Ashley has been one of those authors who has been on my radar for a while to read, but just never found time on my reading schedule to fit one of her books in, so I grabbed this one when I saw it available for review. I'm so glad I did. With one small exception (which I'll get to eventually), I thoroughly enjoyed this book. 

Kristen Ashley is an author who's made a huge success of her career by self-publishing. This is her first book offered through an actual publishing company. I need to start out this review by how pleased I was that she was able to keep her self-publishing voice. This book does not follow the rules and I liked that about it. The actual book (i.e. Chapter 1) doesn't even start until 9-10% into the book. That first 10% of the book is giving the reader the back-story of 4 years between the hero and heroine...told entirely from the hero's POV....and they haven't had an easy time of it. There are obviously deep feelings for both characters, but with immaturity comes words and actions that wound deeply.

Tabby and Shy have a very rocky history, but they develop a friendship through Tabby's huge loss. I loved the way that this whole part of the story was written. It was almost like watching a train wreck....I was riveted to the page. Eventually Shy and Tabby are able to come together and make their relationship work, but this is still fairly early in the book and they still have so many obstacles to overcome. Tabby grew up as the princess of the motorcycle club, Chaos. Her father is the leader of the gang. Shy is up and coming within the gang, but he's been a dawg when it comes to women and never hid that fact. So when it comes to him having sex with the gang's little girl....yeah....no, that ain't gonna work for any of them. 

It was interesting. I'll admit, I don't know much about the motorcycle clubs (have never watched Sons of Anarchy), but it's an interesting culture. I really enjoyed this tiny insight into it. I found it really fascinating and thought that Kristen did an amazing job creating these characters and story. I honestly didn't put the book down once I started it. The other really interesting thing about her writing was how she wrote Tab and Shy. When the book was in Shy's POV, it was in 3rd person, when in Tabby's POV, it was in 1st. I liked it, but as a writer I don't know how she pulled it off so well. 

And  that brings me to my one little annoyance in this book. There was a single phrase that Kristen had every single character in the book using...."Do you get me?" I'm sorry, this drove me batty. I don't know a single person who uses this phrase. I could even have let it slide if it was just the guys in the gang using it, because people who are together a lot use similar phrasing, but even the cops said it. It was distracting and took my rating on this down from an "A" to an "A-"...

But other than that, this was a great read. I definitely plan on continuing with the series...and maybe I'll even find time to read some of Kristen Ashley's backlist too.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: