Saturday, April 20, 2013

Last Kiss Goodnight (audiobook) by Gena Showalter

Last Kiss Goodnight 
by Gena Showalter

audiobook narrator: George Newbern

My Rating: B-


sexual intensity: mild

Story Overview:
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Gena Showalter ignites a thrilling new paranormal series with this breathtaking tale of a warrior enslaved by desire, and the woman who frees his soul. THE SWEETEST TEMPTATION . . .

Black ops agent Solomon Judah awakens caged and bound in a twisted zoo where otherworlders are the main attraction. Vika Lukas, the owner’s daughter, is tasked with Solo’s care and feeding. The monster inside him yearns to kill her on sight, even though she holds the key to his escape. But the human side of him realizes the beautiful deaf girl is more than she seems—she’s his.

THE ULTIMATE PRICE . . .

Vika endures the captives’ taunts and loathing, hoping to keep them alive even if she can’t free them. Only, Solo is different— he protects her. But as hostility turns to forbidden romance, his feelings for her will be used against him . . . and he’ll be put to a killer test.

My Review:
Honestly, I don't even know where to start this review or even how to rate this book overall. This book was so completely different from what I'm used to with Gena's writing....and not necessarily in a bad way. It just truly wasn't what I was expecting. Honestly, I think that this book would be better marketed as a mainstream fiction book rather than a romance, although the romance is big in it. The book just seemed bigger than the romance overall. It reminded me a ton of Erin Morgensterns' THE NIGHT CIRCUS.

The book takes place almost entirely within the cages of the circus. I kept expecting it to be something more and have Solo escape with Vika and mount a rescue for either the rest of the circus or his teammates, John, Blue, and Michael. That never happened and I was disappointed with that. I felt like the circus scenes just went on for too long without anything changing and the story didn't move forward.

Okay, since I have no idea what to do with this review, I am stealing Felicia, The Geeky Book Bloggger's format:
Audio Rating: 4.50
Overall Rating: 3.00
Story Rating: 2.50
Character Rating: 4.00

What I liked:
**I liked the set-up of Solo's team and the beginning of the book with the explosion. I'm dying to know what happened to the rest of the team.
**I also liked the insight into Vika's past with her animals that used to be part of the circus. Without that back-story, I think it would have been a LOT harder to like her character and empathize with what she's going through.
**The whole set-up of the circus was really creative. Gena did a good job with the establishment of the cuffs and drugs so that you knew there wasn't hope for escape for these beings in the menagerie.
**the narrator on this was amazing. He did a fabulous job with the inflections and emotions of the characters...always! For me, he made this book. 

What I didn't like:
**I felt like the "captured" part of the story went on for too long. 
**The bible verses at the start of each chapter seemed  like a really bizarre choice to me.
**There wasn't enough depth to the relationship between Vika and Solo. He felt connected to her and her to him, but for some reason, that just never connected emotionally to me as the reader.
**X and Dr. E.....I could have done without. They just didn't seem to fit the story.
**the switching of the deafness.... also, just didn't seem to fit to me.

Conclusions:
I understand Blue's book is next and honestly, that was the best part of the story to me...this team that was ripped apart. I am dying of curiosity about what happened to everyone else and that will definitely keep me reading the series. 


No comments: