Wednesday, April 10, 2013

In the Nick of Time by Sylvie Fox


Title: In the Nick of Time
Author: Sylvie Fox
My Rating: B-


Story Blurb:
Hot nights, huge consequences.
Divorced and done with her dry spell, Holly Prentice is ready to get back in the game. But with two conditions: her future mate can’t be married to his career, and he has to have a couch.  Nick Andreis loves his job, and his only furniture is a king-size bed. He’s also single, sexy, and six years Holly’s junior.  Any guy this hunky and carefree can’t be serious about the future.  
After one spontaneous and explosive night, Holly decides that her search for Mr. Right can wait.  Nick can be Mr. Right Now.  
Nick has waited years for Holly.  Now that she’s dating again, he’s determined to be the only man in her life.  He wants what Holly wants: forever.  Convincing her of that won’t be easy, but Nick agrees—with fingers crossed behind his back—to Holly’s idea that they can be bed buddies until someone serious comes along.  His plan: use the time between their passionate nights to convince her that he is the one.
Will Holly’s unexpected pregnancy change the rules of their games? Or can they both decide to play for keeps?

My Review:
I try not to give spoilers in my reviews and I am not going to spell anything out in this review, but it might be a little spoiler-ish, so this is your warning....

I liked the basic premise of this...a 26 yo guy, Nick, who's been drawn to the 32 yo heroine, Holly, for years...even when she was married to his mentor in the film business.

But now Holly is divorced and Nick wants to date her, but she thinks he's too young for her. She's at the point where she wants to settle down, get married, and start a family. She knows that Nick is too young to be ready for all that, no matter what he says. And, gah, this guy is convincing and romantic and just a sweetheart. As a reader, I was completely convinced in his earnestness and true interest in forever with her. And because I was thoroughly convinced of his good intentions, this book was almost ruined for me by the second half of the book where Holly's ideas about him turned out to be true. At that point, my heart was broken and I truly wanted Holly to dump his butt. Not a good thing for your reader to feel about the hero at that point in the book. 

And yes, he did finally come around...kind of... and basically because he had no choice, the circumstances are what they are and now they have to deal...the guy isn't a bad guy. But for me, I would NEVER trust him again and I couldn't see his and Holly's relationship lasting for that long because of that....and that just made me sad. Why oh why did the author write this book/character this way? Before that point, I loved this guy and had hopes for him and Holly.

But besides all that, as you can tell, I definitely became emotionally involved with these characters. The author did a good job of establishing their story and who they are...and drawing the reader into their story. It was an interesting premise. I liked the chemistry between the two of them and their mutual love of old things (his house/her furniture). I also really enjoyed the relationship that developed between Holly and Dominic (Nick's father)...that was a neat little addition to the story.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.


Author bio:  

I write the kinds of books I love to read. The quirky characters in my romance novels experience angst, conflict, mostly great sex, and always get their "happily ever after." In my mainstream fiction, ordinary woman experience angst, conflict, and occasional great sex, but they also get embroiled in struggles against extraordinary odds, and I don't promise a happy ending. I also love thrillers, but I don't write those.  I live in Los Angeles with my husband, son, and a whole lot of pets. When I'm not hanging out in Hollywood, I'm eating my way through Budapest.

Social Media Links:
http://www.facebook.com/sylviefoxbooks
http://twitter.com/sylviefoxbooks
http://pinterest.com/sylviefox/

Buy Links:


a Rafflecopter giveaway

8 comments:

Tasty Book Tours said...

Thank You for hosting today!!

Sylvie Fox said...

Thanks for reading and reviewing In the Nick of Time. Wow. I'm finding that readers have VERY strong feelings about EITHER the hero or the heroine. I'm happy about that as I find real life people to be complex and often contradictory. You totally got what I was going for.

Lou Ann Warren said...

I love finding new authors to read. This sounds like the beginning of a great reading relationship.

Sebella Blue said...

I love older women with younger men. I find the dynamics work extremely well in these pairings. Sounds like a book I should take a very close look at.

TwiMom22580 said...

This sounds like something that I would enjoy reading!!!

Glam009 said...

wow....thank you for this giveaway!!!! and a sexy character name Nick.... well Nick Andreis is sexy ....

Bex said...

I can't think of any sexy heroes named Nick.

bookangel said...

Only ones I can come up with are Nicholas Cage and Nick Fury (Avengers)