Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Hot Blooded by Amanda Carlson

Title:  Hot Blooded
Author: Amanda Carlson
My Rating: B

Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Series: Jessica McClain #2
Main Characters: Jessica
Release Date: April 2013
Publisher: Orbit
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild


Story Overview:
It hasn't been the best week for Jessica McClain.

Her mate has been kidnapped by a Goddess hell-bent on revenge --- but Jessica is playing for keeps.

Because she's the only female werewolf in town...it comes with its own set of rules...and powers.

Aided by two vamps, two loyal Pack members, and one very reluctant human, Jessica must rescue her man while coming to terms with what being a wolf really means.

All in a day's work for a girl.

The second novel in the Jessica McClain series is a full on action adventure featuring one angry Goddess and plenty of monsters, demons, and a few newly risen beasties...

My Review:
This book was like following Odysseus on his many quests: the Cyclops, hades, and the sirens...except in this book, Jessica had to fight off demon bats, water something, giant spiders, and zombie goats. It was just one seemingly unending battle after another against weird foes for Jessica, Danny (her father's head of security), Tyler (her twin brother), two vamps (their guides), and Ray (human cop) to save Rourke from the moon goddess.

It was quite an adventure and was somewhat entertaining getting there, but I have to admit to disappointment when she did finally conquer it all. I was ready for the big, romantic reunion with Rourke going all alpha and sexy on her, and that was there somewhat....I just hoped and wanted more. (and yes, I'm well aware that this is a flaw from the romantic reader in me....this is UF, not paranormal romance)

But what this book did accomplish was to prove just how powerful and "other" Jessica truly is. Over and over again, she alone defeated insurmountable odds and kept bringing her team back from the brink through purely her own strength and internal power. 

And this was a team effort. I did love her team....I loved Danny's humor throughout and Tyler's incredible support. Tyler was awesome when it came to making sure Rourke made it out. I love the bond between Tyler and Jessica and that level of trust that they have simply because they're twins. Tyler is a true Alpha and he let Jessica take control of this mission even that goes against everything he knows. That little thing is such a big thing about why their relationship is so amazing. I even really loved Ray and what he added to the story. Jessica's determination to keep him alive is such an amazing thing when everyone else in the paranormal world sees him as simply a dispensable human. I loved how she's kept her human side. 

Then there were the vamps...brother and sister (I'm awful with names and don't remember them right now). Vamps are supposed to be enemies of werewolves, but I love the relationship that developed between Jessica and the female. I can't wait to see where that whole relationship and the fingers of it takes the series. I think it's going to be good. 

While I didn't think this book was quite as good as book #1, I still enjoyed it a lot. I was definitely riveted through all the trials. My only issue was the end....romantic here...I just wanted a little bit more.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Christi, your review could be my review. I agree with you 100%. :)