Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Flawless by Cat Grant

Title:   Flawless
Author: Cat Grant
My Rating: C



Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: Irresistible Attraction #4
Main Characters: Steve and Gil
Release Date:  April 2013

Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy


Story Overview:
Steve Campbell used to be a player, until a mid-life crisis opened his eyes to his long-repressed love for Connor, his soon-to-be-married best friend and business partner. Coming out at thirty-eight means learning how to date all over again, and this time, Steve’s not willing to settle for empty one-night stands. He wants the real thing.

Gil Alvarez has never had it easy, struggling through childhood and rejected by his family for a body that didn’t match who he was inside. A skilled driver and mechanic, he’s working hard to make his auto shop a success. The last thing he needs is a rich white guy in a candy-apple-red Ferrari tempting him, but Steve’s ready smile and easygoing manner prove irresistible.

One brief, intimate encounter leaves them both hungry for more. Gil’s not ashamed of who he is, but he’s terrified that Steve will reject him—or worse—when he discovers what Gil can’t find the courage to tell him.

My Review:
I've read the rest of this series, so I thought I knew what I was getting when I accepted this book for review. I should have read the story description better. I won't spoil the book, but it definitely was not what I was expecting and was my first book that I've read like this. 

We've met Steve before...he's a guy definitely in the middle of a sexual epiphany. This is a guy who's been a player, with women, for a long time. Until last year when he discovered that he was in love with his business partner. He's since decided that he's actually bisexual. 

Gil runs an auto repair shop. He's someone who's on the edge...his business is barely hanging on, his ex is hanging on too much, and Steve just makes him nervous. 

They both really, really like each other despite the issues that keep coming up between them. Most of the problem is coming from Gil who's hiding something that could affect Steve's perspective of him. It colors everything in their relationship.

Like I said, this is the first book I've read with this particular circumstance. While I have no personal issues with it, I found that it wasn't something that appealed to me as a reader. It definitely affected my enjoyment of the book. And I'm not sure why...probably just because it's such a foreign thing to me. I also had real issues with the way that Gil let it come out. He just set himself up to get hurt, because he blindsided Steve, so it didn't give Steve a chance to act with anything BUT shock.... He was completely blindsided and that wasn't fair to either one of them. 

There was a happy ending, but the overall feel of the book gave me an unhappy, unsettled feeling and that's not what I want from my reading.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: