Friday, March 22, 2013

Range by J.A. Huss



Title:  Range
Author: J.A. Huss
My Rating: B-


Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series:  I Am Just Junco #4
Main Characters: Junco Coot
Release Date: April 2013



Publisher: -
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Barnes and Noble
Sexual Intensity: mild

Story Overview:
Two years have passed since Inanna stole Junco away from Lucan. Two years of unimaginable pain. Two years of isolation, mutilation and torture. Two years of fear and loneliness in a morph tank. And that’s not something you just get over, even if you are psycho-assassin, Junco Coot.

Now Junco has to learn to live with the consequences. Her Siblings are suspicious and angry, half her team is dead, Tier is wreaking death and destruction, Lucan is holding his secrets close, and she is spiraling out of control.

There is only one partnership that matters anymore – only one person she will trust and take direction from – and only one way out of the Hell she’s been sentenced to.

Junco is tired of fighting and death. She’s had enough and this time she means to end it – once and for all


My Review:

This was a difficult book in more ways than one. But before I get to the review, I need to explain something. I read a LOT...and read the first three books months ago (which equals hundreds of books that I've read since then). As a result, I spent a lot of this book confused...just because this is a REALLY complex world and story line and I had a really hard time remembering all the tiny details from the first three books. 

Also, Junco herself is confused. She's gone through 2-3 mindwipes during her lifetime and those memories are slowly coming back, she's lost the last two years being trapped and  tortured, and honestly just as no clue who she can trust because everyone is lying to her at various times throughout the story. So yeah, it's hard to keep it all straight. I think that part of  that is the nature of the story in this book, but I do think it would have been better if I had read the entire  series back to back. 

This is also a difficult book because Junco is not in a happy place. She's lost everything and is tired of fighting. She's ready to give up. She's fought her entire life....first as an assassin and then as an avian warrior. Death and murder have been a mainstay of her life for too long and she's lost too many people that she loves. The combination of the loss of Tier and Isten has just been too much for her. As a reader, I ache for her, but I did hit a certain point in this book where I just wanted her to suck it up and deal, like the tough girl we've known her to be before now. But the book is probably pretty realistic for how a 22 year old would deal with all the continuous bad stuff that Junco has had to deal with.

So how did I feel about this book? Confused is the word...the book absolutely kept my interest, but I really had a hard time tracking what exactly was going on and who was doing what. I wouldn't say that I enjoyed it, but I can see that it absolutely was necessary to set up for the final book. And I am looking forward to the conclusion of the series.

I am also very relieved that Magpie Bridge (Tier's novella) is being released at the same time, because I read it immediately after this one and Tier DOES know what's going on...and it cleared up a TON of confusion for me about what exactly was going on....

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

1 comment:

J. Anne Huss said...

Thanks for the review Christi! :)