Saturday, March 16, 2013

Darkness Haunts by Susan Illene

Title:  Darkness Haunts
Author: Susan Illene
My Rating: A+ 


Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series:  A Sensor Novel #1
Main Characters: Melena
Release Date: February 2013 
Publisher: 
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: mild


Story Overview:
Book one of the Sensor Series.

Melena Sanders faced her fair share of danger with insurgents and terrorists when she served in the U.S. Army, but now she is about to go up against a new threat. Her best friend, Aniya, has disappeared while on a trip to Fairbanks, Alaska—a supernatural haven. Most humans have no idea darker races lurk amongst them. Mel knows better. If she wants to get her friend back, she’s going to have to go in alone—but not unarmed.

Melena has a few special skills the Army didn’t provide, but the odds are still against her. She’s got to come up with a plan fast that doesn’t involve her, or her friend, dying. But danger likes to play it rough. A war for power is about to rise in Fairbanks and if she wants to get Aniya back, she’s going to have to step right into the middle of it.


My Review:
I loved this book so much and I don't have a clue where to start this review. This is the start of a brand new Urban Fantasy series featuring Melena called the Sensor Series. This is a paranormal world that is very different...and I liked it....A LOT! (To the point that I am debating between an A and an A+ rating on this book.) 

Melena is a sensor. As a sensor, she is not a supernatural being (or sups as they're called in this book like the vampires, werewolves, witches, pixies, and many other beings are). She's human. What makes her different is that she can sense when supernaturals are around, what exactly they are, how old they are, and what magic they have and are using. It's a very useful skill, but it can also be very dangerous to the sups so over the centuries, they have killed off the sensors. Melena works extremely hard to never appear as more than human.

In this story though, her best friend and roommate has disappeared after a trip to Alaska which is a hotbed of supernatural beings. Melena fears the worst and isn't getting any answers via phone so she heads up there and straight into trouble. Did I mention I love this book??

Let's talk about the guys first:
*Lucas-- He's a nephilum who murdered Melena's sensor caretaker and virtual mother right in front of her. He makes no secret that he plans to take her life too, but strangely enough, he continues to save her life instead. YUM! I loved the mystery of his story and the hints about his feelings there. I can't wait to see where that develops!
*Derrick-- A werewolf who's second in command to the witch/vampire who tortured Melena and holds her friend hostage...BUT he's not like her. In fact, there are lots of amazing qualities to Derrick and I wanted more to develop here...maybe next book?? I really liked his character a LOT!
*Matt-- A local soldier and human who really likes Melena. I like the way he kept popping up and made his intentions known. He's very protective of her and I liked that about his character even though there's no doubt that Melena can take care of herself. *sob*
*Nicholas-- A 1200 year old vampire. I loved his endless flirts and come-ons. Who would have guessed that the old guy would be the one to add a bit of lightness to the story? I can't wait to see where the story goes with him.

Then there's Melena herself. She's learned coping techniques over the years to keep herself safe. She also spent six years in the Army. She's one tough chick and I loved her. 

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and this world. The book was full of action and I had a hard time putting it down, even though I was reading it on vacation where I had tons of distractions. I am definitely counting down the days to the release of book #2, which is supposed to be coming out in June....

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: