Monday, March 25, 2013

Covet Thy Neighbor by L.A. Witt



Title: Covet Thy Neighbor
Author: L.A. Witt
My Rating: B+





Genre: Contemporary Romance (m/m)
Series: Tucker Springs #4
Main Characters: Seth and Darren
Release Date: March 2013
Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot

Story Overview:
Tattoo artist Seth Wheeler thinks he’s struck gold when Darren Romero rents the apartment across the hall. The new guy is gorgeous, witty, and single, plus he’s just the right blend of bold and flirtatious. Perfect.

Except then Darren reveals that he moved to Tucker Springs to take a job as the youth pastor at the New Light Church. Seth is not only an atheist, but was thrown out by his ultra-religious family when he came out. He tends to avoid believers, not out of judgment but out of self-preservation.

But Darren doesn’t give up easily, and he steadily chips away at Seth’s defenses. Darren is everything Seth wants in a man . . . except for that one massive detail he just can’t overlook. Is Darren’s religion the real problem, or is it just a convenient smokescreen to keep him from facing deeper fears? It’s either see the light, or risk pushing Darren away forever.

My Review:
I wasn't too sure if I was going to like this book or not because of the religious theme, but just couldn't resist the dichotomy of the two lead characters. Having Seth be a tattoo artist was just enough of the complete opposite of youth minister that I couldn't turn the book down. I'm so glad I took the risk because...again, I love this novel set in Tucker Springs. (I'm really falling in love with this little Colorado town.)

There was so much about this book that I absolutely LOVED:
*Seth's job.....hello! Tattoo artist.
*I love the fact that the guys are neighbors. There's no avoiding each other when they live directly across the hall from each other. Those little moments when they met each other's eyes across the hall...perfection.
*Colorado setting....I love that they go out hiking. It's such a perfect guy thing to do and such an amazing way to get to know each other. 
*The outreach program at Darren's church for GLBT teens. I loved this aspect of the story and the entire scene when Seth went to volunteer there. It added such a richness to the entire story. 
*I liked that it was Seth who questioned the different aspects of the relationship. Darren is extremely non-judgemental and normal about it all and if he'd been the other way at all, this would have been a much harder book to read.
*the religious debates- Who knew that I would actually enjoy this part? I HATE having religion in books, but in this one, it totally worked for me and I thought the debates had amazing points on both sides. The discussion about creation while hiking...LOVED it!

Both of these characters in this book are amazing. Seth has some very real ideas about religion after the trauma of his coming out...that's why he's an atheist. But that awful experience has left him with some extremely negative vibes. On the other side of that is Darren...he's the most non-judgmental, laidback person ever and he's just an amazing character throughout this entire book. I loved how explosively they were drawn to each other regardless of their differences. In fact, their differences are some of what made them so good together....they had some amazing discussions. This is one couple I would like to revisit 20-30 years down the road just to see how their relationship has developed. I can see them with an amazing Happily Ever After and that's the best thing about reading a book like this. Their story simply made me smile.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: