Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Kitchen Affair by Carol Preflatish

Title: Kitchen Affair
Author: Carol Preflatish
My Rating: C+



Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: Jenny and Derek
Release Date: January 2013
ISBN: ebook
Publisher: Secret Cravings Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: mild


Story Overview:
When culinary student Jenny Marshall struggles to pay her tuition, she decides to become a Personal Chef to make ends meet. The most eligible bachelor in town, Derek James, who also happens to be a millionaire, has a crisis. Two days before his Thanksgiving dinner party, his cook has to quit due to a family emergency. Desperate, he hires Jenny to cook for his party and there's chemistry from the start. He likes her, she likes him, but Colleen Michaels, a manager at his company, has set her sights on Derek also and she does everything she can to sabotage his relationship with Jenny. Everyone thinks Colleen is the perfect match for Derek; everyone that is, except Derek. He desperately wants Jenny in his life. However, Colleen has other plans to keep that from happening. What lengths will she go to in order to keep Derek and Jenny apart?

My Review:


Overall there was nothing wrong with this book. It was written well and was rather engaging, but there was a single action by the hero that ruined this book and his character for me. The bad thing was, in the end, he didn't do this awful thing I thought he did throughout the entire book, but by that point I didn't like him or believe in the possibility of this romance anymore. Not good. That one single thing, because it was drawn out for so long, ruined this book for me. 

But I sit back and look at the story line and don't really see a way that it could have been written differently. It provided the needed conflict to the story, but there just wasn't enough feeling from this hero for me to accept his true feelings for the heroine.


So what did work for me in this story?

1. The set-up was good. I liked that the heroine is in culinary school, works at a bakery, and hires on to the hero as a personal chef. I liked that part of the story (although I did feel like she didn't do enough fancy cooking for her level of expertise...)

2. I liked the corporate espionage story. It provided a bit of mystery and suspense to the story and although I was pretty sure I knew who the bad guy was, I felt like it was woven into the main story line pretty well.


There were several things that I didn't like about the story that ruined my rating on this book (remember I rate on how much I enjoy the book, not based upon actual writing skill), but pretty much all of them, when I look at it objectively were things that are purely personal taste. A lot of my issues were about the actions of the characters, but just like the real world, not all characters in books are going to be your favorite people. These characters didn't work for my personality, but you may look at them and think that you all would be best friends.


This book has very defined lines between the classes and with the exception of Derek, all those of his class-level are just really not very nice people. Jenny is okay, but I wanted her to be stronger about standing up to Derek and letting him know how awful his "friends" were treating her. I wanted Derek to stand up to those same friends who continued to badmouth her. Novels are a fantasy world and I expect a little bit of over-the-top drama to protect the characters they care about. I didn't see this from Derek....ever and that's why this book didn't make a higher rating in my book.


I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.



No comments: