Sunday, January 20, 2013

Web of Lies by Jennifer Estep


Title: Web of Lies 
Author: Jennifer Estep
My RatingB+


Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: An Elemental Assassin Book #2
Main Characters: Gin
Release Date: May 2010
ISBN: 9781439147993
Publisher: Pocket
Links to Purchase:
Amazon  
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Curiosity is definitely going to get me dead one of these days. Probably real soon.

I'm Gin Blanco.

You might know me as the Spider, the most feared assassin in the South. I’m retired now, but trouble still has a way of finding me. Like the other day when two punks tried to rob my popular barbecue joint, the Pork Pit. Then there was the barrage of gunfire on the restaurant. Only, for once, those kill shots weren’t aimed at me. They were meant for Violet Fox. Ever since I agreed to help Violet and her grandfather protect their property from an evil coalmining tycoon, I’m beginning to wonder if I’m really retired. So is Detective Donovan Caine. The only honest cop in Ashland is having a real hard time reconciling his attraction to me with his Boy Scout mentality. And I can barely keep my hands off his sexy body. What can I say? I’m a Stone elemental with a little Ice magic thrown in, but my heart isn’t made of solid rock. Luckily, Gin Blanco always gets her man . . . dead or alive.

My Review:
I'm not going to write a huge review on any of these books. This is an Urban Fantasy series that just builds upon the same story line so it's hard to not say too much that would end up being spoilers.

I started out listening to this book on audio, but it's 12 hours long and I haven't had that much audio time lately, so I finally broke down and finished it by reading the physical book. For me, this book seemed to be more of a transitional book and that may be because it took me so long to finish it. (I listened to the first 10 hours of audio over a month-long period.) Book #1 gave us the set-up for the series and got us completely hooked. This book seemed to set-up the over-arching story line which looks like it will travel over the next few books. 

The things I liked about this one:
*Owen...I'm intrigued.
*Donovan...I liked where the story line went in this one. While it made me sad for Gin, I felt like it was right for the series.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Fox Family story line. It didn't seem as suspenseful as it should be, but again...this really could be because I took so long to get through this book. 

I continue to love Gin and just how tough she is. I like how her skills are taking on a more people-oriented edge. Rather than killing for money...she's simply helping people who can't help themselves against the bad guys. The more we get to know her, the more I love her. She's been through so much and continues to go through so much, but she's never let that affect the core of who she is and her moral code.

It may have taken me a month to get through this book, but as soon as I finished it, I picked up book #3 and barreled through it. I love Gin and this series.

No comments: