Sunday, January 6, 2013

Trouble Won't Wait by Autumn Piper




Title: Trouble Won't Wait
Author: Autumn Piper
My Rating: A


Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: -
Main Characters: Adam and Mandy
Release Date: November 2012
ISBN: ebook
Publisher: Lyrical Press
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: spicy

Story Overview:
Ranked among USA Today's top romance reads of 2012

Good things may come to those who wait, but trouble waits for no one…

Cheating is a dealbreaker...or so Mandy’s always thought. But when she catches her husband getting some “strange,” she realizes how hard it is to cut and run, or even file papers. She agrees to a month of counseling, which will give her time to grieve the loss of her marriage before she has to tell the world--and the kids. Then she meets Adam, who gives her a hunky--if mysterious--shoulder to cry on, and that thirty-day waiting period seems like an eternity.

Adam has no problem confessing that he’s watched Mandy from his window for months as she runs by his house. If he told her why, though, she’d freak out for sure. He knows they’ve got a future together, if he can think of a way to explain his past. And he’s sure the rat-bastard who cheated on her is putting the moves on her again, but he won’t be the revenge guy. The month-long cooling off period she agreed to is lasting forever, and might just be indefinite, if trouble keeps getting in their way.

Content Warning: Eccentric old lady pushing salt-of-the-earth advice, bossy big brother, kooky counselor, super-secretive hunk, and perfect justice served amidst adult situations and language.

A Lyrical Press Contemporary Romance

My Review:
Usually I hate to read books that involve an unhappy marriage, but something about the description of this story drew me in and I am so glad that it did. I really loved this book. Honestly, I did not put it down from the time I started it until I turned the last page. I just couldn't see how this was all going to turn out for everyone especially knowing that Adam was hiding something and not knowing what exactly it was although I had a pretty good idea.

This book starts on Thanksgiving day with Mandy out walking. She's just walked in on her husband, Mike, and friend having sex on top of a car in the garage and is completely shocked, completely angry, and at a total loss of how to react now. On her walk, she meets Adam. He's been watching her for a couple of months while she walks and has finally gotten brave enough to introduce himself. 

The book covers the next month of these people's lives. Mandy quickly decides that her marriage is over, but she's not going to act on that until after Christmas. Mike and Mandy have two kids, ages 10 and 12 and she doesn't want to ruin their holiday with talk of a divorce. In that time, they stay living in the same house and are seeing a marriage counselor (who hits on Mandy when Mike's not around), but she's sleeping in a separate bed. She's also getting MUCH closer to Adam during that time period.

Reading this book was a lot like watching a car wreck. Mandy is completely blown away by Mike's betrayal. They've been married for 13 years and have had a good marriage. They even had sex the morning of his betrayal. She waffles between anger and wanting to give merit to those happy 13 years, but how could she ever trust him again. As a married woman, it's hard to watch her with this struggle. As simply a woman, it's even harder to see her even think about giving him a second chance. It's a tough book and very emotional, but it is so good! It's extremely well-written. You can't help but feel for all of these characters....yes, there were even moments when I felt bad for the jerk, Mike. It's a bad situation and the author shows the myriad of emotions that go with that. BUT even more importantly, she never made it a depressing book. You are caught up in the drama of it all, but never once do you feel like Mandy isn't going to overcome it all...you just are never quite sure HOW she's going to do that. 

It was really really good and I truly loved the way that it ended. This book may not be one that I would normally pick up, but I'm so glad that I did today. This is the kind of book that strikes a deep emotional chord and sticks with me for a few days. I love that kind of book!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.





Author Bio:

I write contemporary romance with a high heat index to match their American southwest settings. Known by my writing buddies as "Angst", I have a penchant for making my characters suffer. My stories may be tributes to the old saying, "No pain, no gain", but my Hero and Heroine always get the happily-ever-after they so deserve. 

I love sunny days, hot bread, the ocean, and that fluttery feeling I get inside at the first spark of a great romance. In between being a wife, mom of two teens, editor and writer, I like to read, garden, take morning walks, and make people laugh--probably succeed here when I try to jog.

For me, an excellent book has characters I can sympathize with or hate (sometimes both at once), a story I simply must see through to the end, and realistic dialogue. Give me those key elements, and I'll read any genre or time period, any author.


No comments: