Friday, January 25, 2013

Jekyll by Lauren Stewart

Title: Jekyll
Author: Lauren Stewart
My Rating: A+


Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Hyde #2
Main Characters: Eden and Mitch
Release Date: December 2012
ISBN: ebook
Publisher: 
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: Hot


Story Overview:
“When the devil tells you to stop struggling, do you?”

From the moment Eden wakes up, she knows she’s not in Kansas anymore. She isn’t even on Mitch’s doorstep, her dark-side’s favorite place to dump her. No, she’s somewhere far worse. And far more sterile. Sometimes a girl needs to adapt, be flexible, change. And that’s exactly what Eden will do, all the way back to Mitch. No matter what she has to do to get there. Because his life depends on it.

Mitch has lost something he’d never thought he’d find to begin with. And “It’s better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all” is a lie. A lie people tell themselves to make the pain go away. But the pain doesn’t go away, not in someone like Mitch. It festers. It grows. Until it can’t be held back anymore, even by the bars of a cage.


*** Jekyll is a continuation of Mitch and Eden’s story and may prove confusing to those who haven’t read Book I. So why not go check it out? Heck, the first book is cheaper.
*** This novel is also intended for adults, as it includes lots of cursing, biting sarcasm, and some truly evil people.


My Review:
I loved the first book in this series, but was completely blown away by this second book. I loved everything about this book. I picked it up this morning, thinking I'd just read a chapter or two before I got to work on other things. Yeah, that didn't work so well for me. It's now afternoon and I haven't touched my to-do list for the day because I couldn't put this book down.

This book picks up two weeks after where the last book left off (if you haven't read book #1, you need to read these books in order). The last book left us with a little bit of a cliffhanger...okay, a lot of a cliffhanger and things have seriously changed for both Eden and Mitch. 

And here we have the issue with reviewing Urban Fantasy books. UF's follow pretty much a single story line from book to book. If I talk specifics about this book, I'm giving you spoilers from Book #1 and I don't want to do that. I WANT YOU TO GO READ THESE BOOKS...then we can chat. ;)

So, what did I love about this book:

*Absolutely the best thing about this book was the relationship that's developed between Mitch and Landon. I never saw that coming, but honestly, their friendship brought me close to tears a couple of times. They've been through some serious stuff together and bonded. It was truly incredible. I love the way that Lauren has written them together.

*Then there's Eden...Whoa...she's had a HUGE transformation between bk #1 and #2. I love how strong she is. Seriously, the girl is tough. She confused and overwhelmed, but at the base of it all is this core of steel. She's ready to take on the world and I think she's gonna win. LOVE HER CHARACTER!!

*Mitch- sob...gah, I love him too. His Hyde is so on the edge throughout this book. You just want to take him into a soft, comforting hug and protect him. He knows, everyone knows...he's skirting closer and closer to that edge where there's no coming back. It's terrifying, especially to him. He's also incredibly messed up by Eden's transformation which is shattering for both of them. So beautifully written.

I LOVE THIS SERIES! If you never read anything else I ever recommend, read this series. Everything about it is so creative and new. This is a story line like I've never read before. The books immerse you in this world. You absolutely won't remember that you're reading a book. I know that the whole Jekyll/Hyde sounds like a horror novel. These are not horror. They're much closer to Paranormal Romantic Suspense, but in the UF format because the story plays out over several books. I have no idea how many books Lauren Stewart has planned, but I will tell you that I cannot wait for the next one!! Write, Lauren, Write!!

1 comment:

Lauren Stewart said...

What a fantastic review, Christi! I'm so happy you enjoyed it.

Thank you so much,

Lauren