Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Forbidden Angel by Megan D. Martin

Title: Forbidden Angel
Author: Megan D. Martin
My Rating: B



Genre: Historical Romance (WWII)
Series: -
Main Characters: Sarah and Aurel
Release Date: December 2012
ISBN: ebook
Publisher: Breathless Press
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:

When captured by the Nazi's, Sarah finds herself in a concentration camp that not only brings her closer to death...but closer to love.

Sarah Brenner, a young Jewish woman, is terrified when she finds herself in the heat of a railcar bound for a work camp in Nazi Germany. For years she, along with her mother and sister, had hidden from the SS, but no one could hide forever. Her hatred for those who have enslaved them is ever-growing, especially when they arrive and she encounters the shockingly handsome Nazi doctor who can’t seem to keep his eyes—or hands—off her.

Aurel Rothstein is not your everyday concentration camp physician. The endless prisoners and lack of care he's allowed to give have made him numb to the work he so coveted. It isn’t until he comes face to face with a beautiful prisoner that his heart becomes involved with his job—a forbidden and fatal move to any Nazi.

When a vile soldier takes direct interest in Sarah, she will be forced to make a choice that will change her life forever: ignore the pull toward the handsome doctor or give in to the forbidden passion he awakens with only a look. Either way they both risk everything...

My Review:


Ok, it is no secret, I do NOT read historical. It's pretty much a given when an author approaches me for a review, if you write historical, I am going to tell you "thank you, but no". In fact, that was exactly what I was doing when I hit "reply" to this author's request, but then the book description caught my eye and I was intrigued, so I took a leap and accepted this book for review.

I have to admit that I'm glad that I did. The subject matter of this book is not easy. It takes place in a concentration camp at the end of WWII. Sarah, the heroine, along with her mother and sister have successfully stayed hidden for the last four years of the war. In 1945, that changes and they find themselves confined in a concentration camp, facing almost certain death. The only bright light is Aurel, the head German doctor in the camp who obviously is attracted to Sarah.


The book is written really well and the author managed to tell a story that isn't easy from either the heroine's or the hero's perspective. Aurel, the doctor, is not happy with what he's had to do over the last several years, but the fact is that he's still done it. As a reader with a certain perspective on this history, it was hard to look at his character and get behind him. He feels huge amounts of guilt over what he's done, but that doesn't change the fact that he has done those things. I found myself really torn over this. But I will say that I think the author did an amazing job with a really very difficult story line. You could feel for Aurel and the shame of what he's had to do.  His grief feels very real.


I had NO idea how in the world this book was going to end, but I will say that the ending and the reactions from the other prisoners made me feel better about this book and Aurel. I almost wish there had been a prologue from so many years later. I know that things were so different for couples then, especially when faced with the life and death of war, but this book had an insta-love romance and it would have been nice to see that the two characters truly were in love and that it wasn't just the stress of the situation they found themselves in that led them to each other.


If you like reading romance and have a fascination with WWII, I recommend this one. It's a pretty hot little book too. Those scenes were extremely smexy. I also have to give a shout-out for the cover designer on this one. Isn't that cover gorgeous? Overall, I am definitely glad that I accepted this one for review.


I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

1 comment:

Megan D. Martin said...

Thank you for taking a chance on Forbidden Angel and for taking the time to review it. You are terrific. :)