Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Debt Owed A Promise Made by Destiny Blaine

Title: A Debt Owed  A Promise Made
Author: Destiny Blaine
My Rating: C+



Genre: Erotic Romantic Suspense
Series: -
Main Characters: Brooklyn and Dante
Release Date: January 2013
ISBN: ebook
Publisher: eXtasy Books
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: erotic

Story Overview:
Brooklyn is thirty-four years old. She works crime and narcotics, weapons intelligence, and she has handled top secret material for the Information Operations Center Analysis Group. She is quick to anger and quicker to draw a weapon. And prior to her husband’s death, she was in bed with the mob—a fact that didn’t change after his untimely demise.

Dante Mancini is public enemy number one. By all accounts, Dante is the most dangerous mob boss this country has ever seen. He makes his brother look like he was left on the monkey bars hanging upside down one too many times. Dante has two weaknesses, and only two—Brooklyn and her daughter.

After three years of increased organized crime activity, agents realize Dante won’t slip. He doesn’t trip and he damn sure won’t fall. Then again, some say Dante has already taken the most detrimental tumble of all. He is head-over-heels for a woman indebted to a government agency eager to collect what is owed.

Lucky for him, Dante is one step ahead of those who want to lock him up and misplace the key. And the woman he loves is prepared to protect him at any cost.


My Review:


I'll tell you right up front, this book confused the heck out of me. This is one of those books that you never quite know who the good guys or the bad guys are because it's constantly changing throughout the book. And that's the way that the book's been written. I think you're supposed to be confused for a lot of it. I think I was confused a bit too much though. All the back and forth just got to be too much especially when things were never explicitly explained. This book just went one step too far into the twists and turns and I never quite found my way out of the maze. But you know, I'm not real good with puzzles and keeping track of the details of who's who and how they're related to everyone in the story so my issues could have very easily have been my own.

But, if you are good at puzzles, then you might really enjoy this one....and actually understand ALL of it. LOL. Because of the twists and turns, this book definitely falls under the romantic suspense genre, but notice the THREE people on the cover...yep, there's a bit of the erotic thrown in too. There are several players within the book and to explain who they all are will give you spoilers. I did mention there are a lot of twists and turns, right? Most of those twists and turns come from the actual characters and their motives ....which I don't think for a single one of them stays the same at the end of the book as it was at the beginning. Seriously, not a single one. Twists and turns, people....there are a LOT of them! LOL!


The book is really well written. It flows really well and the characters are fabulous. Lots of depth to them. I didn't get quite as attached to Brooklyn as a character as I did to Dante, but that may be because she's developed a lot of close ties with some people that turned out to not be so great. I had a hard time trusting her, knowing that her judgement has been so flawed. It was really interesting in that regard. Dante on the other hand, yes there were some twists to his character too, but I liked him a lot.


It was definitely an interesting read and I'm anxious to read some other's views on it....just to see how bad I am with interpreting the intricate in's and out's of the suspense line. I have a feeling that in this case, I was just really bad about paying attention to the details. 


I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: