Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Trouble in Texas by Katie Lane



Title:  Trouble in Texas
Author: Katie Lane
My Rating: B


Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Deep in the Heart of Texas #4
Main Characters: Brant and Lizzie
Release Date: December 2012
ISBN
9781455515714
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:

THERE'S A FOX IN THE HENHOUSE Inheriting the most notorious house of ill repute in Texas can spell trouble for a girl's reputation . . . especially when she's Elizabeth Murphy, Bramble's prim and proper librarian. Yet when she discovers a buck-naked cowboy handcuffed to a four-poster bed, she forgets all about the town gossips. 
Elizabeth has sworn off men, but the stranger's kisses melt her resolve faster than ice cream on a hot summer day.

Waking up in Miss Hattie's Henhouse isn't how Brant Cates reckoned on getting to the bottom of his great-granddaddy's murder. The plan was to solve the centuries-old crime, then get the heck out of Dodge. But after meeting Elizabeth and discovering that the buttoned-up beauty is a sexy siren in disguise, he just can't pull himself away.

Now Brant needs Elizabeth to finally put his past to rest, but is she willing to risk her future on Bramble's newest bad boy?

My Review:
This book read differently than the rest of the series and I think that's because most of the action took place in the henhouse (45 minutes out of Bramble) rather than in the town itself. As a result, there wasn't near the interaction between the town characters as there were in the other books and I'll admit, I missed that.

What there was in this book that was great was a whole lot of Brant...I loved his character. Brother to Billy (hero in book #3), he's on his way to Billy and Shirlene's wedding when he gets waylaid (well, actually shot, drugged, and handcuffed) by the hen's, three elderly ladies. Brant is a fairly tragic figure...he's mourning the loss of his wife and son from a tornado the only way he knows how...trying to chase down the family curse so he can abolish it before someone else in his family dies.  What he finds instead are the crazy hens and a stodgy librarian. Eventually even his younger brother, Beau comes into play. 

And *sigh* I do love Beau too. Beau is recovering from cancer, waiting to see if it comes back, and has decided to live life to the fullest. He's determined the best way to do that is by buying the henhouse and restoring it to its former glory as a gentleman's retreat.

The book tends to be a bit crazy, but it's fun. I didn't quite connect to Lizzie as much as much as I wanted to and I think a lot of that is because she is so personally conflicted about what she wants. I didn't understand the whole virginity/never want to get married thing when she doesn't hate men. She was just a little too much middle-of-the-road for me. I needed her to have more justification about why she's lived her life the way that she has. I just didn't quite get it, especially when she is really drawn to the legend about Hattie.

The best thing about this book though were the scenes between Brant and Beau especially at the end. I loved their relationship and the emotion that Katie managed to show through their relationship. I wanted to see that same thing with Brant and Billy especially since Brant missed Billy's wedding. I kept hoping for some resolution between the two of them.

Needless to say, I am on pins and needles waiting for Beau's story. The snippet at the end of the book having him in NYC has me intrigued. I can't wait to read more...

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: