Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Marriage Mistake by Jennifer Probst

Title:  The Marriage Mistake
Author: Jennifer Probst
My Rating: A-

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Marriage to a Billionaire #3
Main Characters: Carina and Max
Release Date: November 2012
ISBN: 978-1476725321 
Publisher: Pocket Books
Links to Purchase:
Sexual Intensity: hot


Story Overview:
Carina Conte has had a crush on her brother Michael’s best friend, Max Gray, since she was a teenager. Now she’s earned her MBA and come to work at Michael’s new venture, America’s fastest-growing bakery empire. But some things never change: her family still treats her like a child. With three drop-dead gorgeous siblings, she’s still the ugly duckling of the bunch. And Max, the company’s new CEO, still barely notices her.

Max knows Carina Conte is strictly off limits. But hot-blooded lust wins out at a conference when the two share a scorching one-night stand—and are busted by her mother! Now, forced by old-world Italian tradition into a marriage he’s not ready for, Max is miserable—and Carina is furious. Her new husband is about to realize that hell hath no fury like a woman transformed….

My Review:

I read the first book in this series and really enjoyed it, but for some reason I just didn't have high expectations for this book. I have no idea why, but I am thrilled to say that I was wrong. I really liked reading this book. 

Carina is not the little girl that he used to know and look at like a sister. She's been out in the business world and the confidence she's gained, shows. Internally, she may still get all hot and bothered about Max, but she will never let him know it again. I loved that about her. She's been humiliated by him and his man-whore ways before and she isn't going to make that mistake again. Throughout this book, she is constantly putting him in his place, letting him know that she doesn't need him. I love the confident, sassy, flirty woman she is especially knowing that so much of the time, that's not really how she's feeling inside. I love her pride.

This is an interesting book in that Carina and Max are both Italian. Where they are from, women don't sleep with a man unless he's her husband. Period. But now that Carina is in America, she's ready to let loose a little and experience the world. Unfortunately, Max does not like that plan and sabotages her efforts to get laid. She's really not happy about that. Add in their explosive chemistry which flares and then gets interrupted and it makes for a lot of back and forth between them. These two are awesome together. Their repertoire back and forth kept me smiling and truly made this a book that was just fun to read. 

Usually in books that I really enjoy, I fall in love with the hero most of all, but I have to admit that in this book, I loved Carina's character. She is putting on such a tough front. I would love to be able to do that like she does. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Max's character too, but in this book, Carina is who made the story for me.

Another fun read in this series. This is the third book in the series and both the couples from the first two books are in this one. I need to go back and read the 2nd. AND I'm really hoping there's a fourth featuring Sawyer. Yum!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: