Sunday, December 30, 2012

Protection by T. Baggins

Title:  Protection
Author: T. Baggins
My Rating: A


Genre: Historical Romance (m/m)
Series: -
Main Characters: Gabriel & Joey
Release Date: December 2011


ISBN: 978-1477593394 
Publisher: Lyonnesse Books

Links to Purchase:


Sexual Intensity: erotic



Story Overview:
When Gabriel MacKenna enters Wentworth Prison in 1931, he promises himself two things: never to be buggered and never to turn prison queer. Tough, smart, and ruthless in a fight, he quickly makes a name for himself inside. But Gabriel, saved from the noose by a social crusader, is serving two life sentences. And life is a very long time to endure Wentworth with no comforts but prison food, card games and cigarettes. To survive endless days without the touch of another human being...

Five years after Gabriel’s incarceration, Joey Cooper arrives at Wentworth. Every convict claims imprisonment through a miscarriage of justice, but Joey is truly blameless. Trained at Oxford as a physician, the young doctor is innocent of prison culture and too handsome for his own good. Facing eighteen years behind Wentworth’s towering gates, Joey cannot hope to survive without protection. And protection is just what Gabriel MacKenna offers. At a price...

My Review:
I have waffled and debated my rating for this book. My ratings are based upon how much I enjoy a book.... my entertainment value. There are certain things that can ruin a book for me along these lines.
1. I simply do not enjoy historical books anymore.
2. I NEED an HEA.
This book broke both of those rules, but I still LOVED it.

This book....it's gritty, it's harsh, it's violent. It's about prison life in the 1930's. But these characters...omg, these characters. The author weaves the story in such a way that you fall in love with them and their story. And yes, I absolutely was crying by the end of it.

And that brings me to the other thing...the end. *sigh* This is not a book with an HEA and I'm not sure I could have handled that without the section called "Coda". Coda gave me closure. I needed that. I'm still sad about the ending, but not devastated like I would have been otherwise.

So my advice about whether or not to read this book...if the story description appeals to you, you probably will enjoy the book. It's written incredibly well, and in the end I can say that yes, I absolutely enjoyed my time reading it. I'll probably even re-read it again someday.

No comments: